S4 2.7T turbo. Help needed

OllyS4

Reaction score
I have a 2.7 biturbo avant and every time i stop after a drive a get a few drops of oil from the passenger inter cooler.
I think my turbo seals may be gone and thats why there is oil in the one inter cooler.
Does this sound rite?
The car has only done 52k miles.

Also if this is the case and i have to pay the hundreds to get it changed would it be worth fitting ko4 turbos instead?
If so what would i need apart from 2x ko4 turbos, 6 injectors and a remap?

Safe to say the K03 oil seal has failed.

Requires an engine pull to replace - I'd go the K04 route, if funds allow.

if your looking to get the best out of it while the engine is out i would,lower compression,tig/port the exhaust manifolds,remove the cats,fmic,new engine and box mounts,and an rs4 clutch at least,as well as new turbo fittings,gaskets etc..you will be looking at the dark side of 450bhp then

I tend to get traces of oil in all of my intercooler piping, you'll get that with a turbo car anyway, as for it dripping though does sound a little more terminal maybe....give MRC a call, if they answer the phone that is, discuss prices of one replacement ko3 compared to the pirce of 2 KO4s, they keep used and new units of both turbos, so depends how far you wanna go and how big your wallet is! The engine's gotta come out for a knackered turbo anyway so it's a good time for all sorts of work.

The passenger side apparently fails more often due to poor heat shielding around the oil lines on that turbo. If you haven't already done so, do the after-run pump mod. This will reduce the chances of a future failure by preventing oil from overheating in the turbos when the engine is turned off after a decent run.

If you wanted to go K04's, you would at least need new turbo intake pipes (I think APR used to fit K04's without replacing these and had a number of failures).

You could safely get around 380bhp with a remap on the stock injectors, fuel pump and intercoolers. Want more and you'll have to open up your wallet a lot wider.

I'd recommend fitting a new RS4 clutch, RS4 engine mounts and at least gut your S4 downpipes whilst the engine is out.

Good point Doc!

It's common to get leaks from the end caps on stock intercoolers. Looks like it's time to upgrade...

Thanks for the help guys.
I did get under there and clean the pipe out then made sure the clips were done up properly and it still drips abit.
Can some one post a link to the over run mod please.
I did own a SEAT ibiza 1.8T and tuned that up from 156 to 257bhp so i have a rough idea but just don't know this engine very well.
Money is abit tite and i'm not looking to mod this car really but i will if it's not much more money than replacing standard parts.
So can i just swop the ko3's for the ko4's, new TIP's and a remap and thats it?
What is the mod to the manifolds you are on about, is it easy?
I might do the engine mounts and clutch if it doesnt cost to much more.

You always get some oil in the IC system, take it apart and see how much is actually in there if you can.
As Doc said as well if its leaking then the pipe id not tight enough and you will need to take it off and clean it all to get it to fit tight and possibly replace the jubilee clip as well. A few small oil drips would not indicate to me that they are blown but possibly on the way out. Is the car smoking much from the rear as the oil would be in both sides of the system if they were failing?

A tip I was given was to spray some hairspray inside the rubber pipes when you're connecting them. Lubricates whilst they're going on, then they stick once it's dried giving a better seal.

I know you may be skint, but the labour is a huge portion of the fix, so if you've ever even considered upgrading, now would be the time to do it. The last thing you want to do is have to take the engine out again (as I had to have done more than once!).

If you do go for K04's, yes TIP's are the only thing you'd need to change as they are a direct bolt on. Probably sensible to replace the oil/water lines to the turbos whilst you're there, but again, that's only a suggestion.

Not sure how much it costs to change a clutch on one of these as a standalone job, but I thought it a sensible time to replace/upgrade mine whilst my engine was out. Yours is fairly low mileage though, so you'd probably be fine without it.

The after-run pump mod is literally a case of replacing a temp sender with a newer model (think it switches on the pump at 90 rather than 110-120 degrees).

The manifold mod is nothing more than grinding out the ports a little, then rewelding the seams to strengthen them. Is your car pre or post-facelift? If pre-facelift, you should change the manifolds to facelift/RS4 ones as they have a slightly different design and aren't prone to failure as the pre-facelift ones were.

Any sign of solid white smake would be a very clear indicator the turbo's on it's way but oil in the IC is not uncommon I know when I did my FMIC I found it in the DV IC and pipes so it may be you just have a air leak and the oil is being pushed through the leak.

There is'nt much smoke and does'nt look blue i.e oil smoke.
I think i need to get under there and clean it off AGAIN and this time look at it every time i stop driving to see were it is coming from.
It does seem to be more oil there than "just abit".
I think the turbo is on it's way out but should be ok for a few months.
I think i should save up and get a pair of ko4's.

Would be worth it with the work involvoed in doing it you might as well get more bang for buk out of the engine as well.

You tend to get a lot of blow-by through the PCV system, particular if the PCV valve
or some of the other one-way flap valves are hosed. Before replacing your turbos :)
try the following:
Clean out entire intake (Y-pipe, TB, piping and IC's with carb cleaner). When I say clean
out, I mean remove from the vehicle and properly clean out.
Replace spider (PCV hosing), one-way valves (green) and the diaphragm valve which
sits between the spider distributor and the F-hose. Maybe fit new 710N's as well.

Doing that should cost <100 quid and will, in most cases, be all that's required. If you
still get oil leaking out of the intake hoses THEN look at your turbos.

You tend to get a lot of blow-by through the PCV system, particular if the PCV valve
or some of the other one-way flap valves are hosed. Before replacing your turbos :)
try the following:
Clean out entire intake (Y-pipe, TB, piping and IC's with carb cleaner). When I say clean
out, I mean remove from the vehicle and properly clean out.
Replace spider (PCV hosing), one-way valves (green) and the diaphragm valve which
sits between the spider distributor and the F-hose. Maybe fit new 710N's as well.

Doing that should cost <100 quid and will, in most cases, be all that's required. If you
still get oil leaking out of the intake hoses THEN look at your turbos.

Ok thanks for that, i'll give it ago but first could you please exsplane were and what the PCV, one-way valves, spider distributor, F hose and 710N's are?
Sorry but i don't know what any of these parts are as i have only just got the car.

Thanks
Olly