2001 S4 Avant Help

lushman0

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just a quick one. I got new tyres for my car and when it was up on the ramp I noticed that the transfer box (Not sure if thats what it is called but i mean the Diff) has been leaking from the front of the box. It appears that it has been doing this for while due to the oil and road dirt stuck to it, and my intention is to top it up temporarily until it can be sorted.

What oil do I use and how much do I need?

The other question is are these short shift changers on Ebay any good as I find the gear changes are quite long, and I have read that another user is pleased but is having to lift the selector everytime he changes gear due to his car being a facelift model. I am not sure about the differences with the facelift but the gearbox on my car pushes down for reverse.
Sorry for the daft sounding questions, but any help here would be really appreciated.

Regards Lushman :sos:

My s4 is a 1999 face lift, and i fitted an ebay £30 (a4 / passat) short shifter about 18months ago and never looked back, best £30 i ever spent on the car.

change the oils is my recomendation now our cars are a few years old, did my rear diff and gearbox/ front diff/transfer unit.

You need a good quality oil and needs to be fully synth. Also you do not need any friction additive as the centre limited slip diff is not one with clutches, missing the friction additivn lets the sycro spin up faster, noticable when cold -my second gear is still stiff when cold but improved after the oil change., different people mention differnt oils, forgot the one i used but i mentioned the name in one of my old posts somewhere.

Thanks sun and kath. i should have pointed out its my rear diff that has been leaking. I will clean all the dirt off tomorrow and watch to see if any new oil appears and at the weekend with the help of a friend will top it up.

Cheers Paul