Sport models

Bong Water

In two minds
Reaction score
Is it right that Sport models are 25mm lower as standard than, say for example, an SE?

If this is the case, how do you go about choosing after market suspension?
When looking it just mentions Quattro models and not Sport, or are Sport models always Quattro's?

im not sure how much lower the sport models are but they do have different suspension.
and im sure someone will wrong if im wrong but all quattro's are not sport models!

Sport models are definitely lower than standard.

My '96 2.6V6 Quattro Sport was a fair bit lower than my friend's similar car. His is an SE, and has leather, climate and wood trim (which I dislike).

Mine has (had?) sports suspension, RS4 front and rear arb, aluminium trim and sports front seats, though cloth.

my 2.8 q is a sport and sits much lower than the chap down the roads a4, we both have 18 inch rs4 on and just by looking at the gap above the wheel you can tell, and when parked alongside it really does show

mine also has the aluminum trim inside and cloth sports seats

Hi Bong Water,

The Sport suspoension are indeed 25mm lower than the normal ones.
Quattro only means that it's a 4WD. SE means mainly that there is the air conditionning (in addition sometimes you get wood trims and leather).

Anyway, "sport" means "sport suspensions" and it means 25mm lower.

As for your question about aftermarket suspension, I am not sure what you wanna ask...

I hope it helps.

Its the same sport ot not, when i bought the suspension for my old sport it was still took it an extra 5-10 mm not really that noticable but it would have been if my car was not a sport to start with.

if the car has code 1BE , it means factory lowered suspension by 20 mm.

Ok thanks for the replies, here is what I am getting at though with aftermarket suspension

If you have a sport model car and therefore have sport suspension, when looking at aftermarket kits and you look at a 30mm kit, is it only going to lower by another 5mm!? They dont seem to be specific to sport models and none sport models

For another example if you get the 50mm kit and fit it to a sport model, will it only lower it by another 15mm!?

I am trying to decide on wether or not to lower my car still, or just put bigger wheels on it and leave the suspension

Thanks again

i think thats what they mean (markey & A4NA18) - if you get 30mm drop yours will only go 5mm & if you get 50mm it will lower by 25mm.. me thinks from the posts.

what does SE stand for then ?

Bong Water said:
Ok thanks for the replies, here is what I am getting at though with aftermarket suspension

If you have a sport model car and therefore have sport suspension, when looking at aftermarket kits and you look at a 30mm kit, is it only going to lower by another 5mm!? They dont seem to be specific to sport models and none sport models

For another example if you get the 50mm kit and fit it to a sport model, will it only lower it by another 15mm!?

I am trying to decide on wether or not to lower my car still, or just put bigger wheels on it and leave the suspension

Thanks again

If you read what we put, if you get suspension with 30mm drop then you car will only go 5-10mm lower as said.

There are kits like eibach that do a 40mm, on my old sport i fitter a spax kit and it did look loower and that was a 35mm i think.

i'd take the figures companies quote for lowering with a pinch of salt also, i have put -35mm springs on identical cars but springs from different manufacturers and the before and after have varied quite a bit.

Didnt notice your previous post Markey for some reason. I was looking at the Weitec stuff so now I know to ask for something specific to the sport model if I am going to go ahead with it.

Macca, yeah I know what you mean, Eibach quoted 35mm on my old Civic and it was more like 50mm!

Mothy69 said:
i think thats what they mean (markey & A4NA18) - if you get 30mm drop yours will only go 5mm & if you get 50mm it will lower by 25mm.. me thinks from the posts.

what does SE stand for then ?

I thought SE stood for Sports Executive ? (or similar)

I thought it was Special Edition.
Mine's a sport and not a quattro.

Mart said:
I thought it was Special Edition.
Mine's a sport and not a quattro.

So you will have sport shocks and springs you do not need to be quattro to have Sport suspension.

Ihave have lowerd springs on my sport suspension which droped it quite nice (H&R race springs)

Standard Sport setup

Whith H&R race springs and stock shocks

docurley – have just noticed your black roof – well nice!

Docurley's car is the **** TBH!

In all honesty, I quite like the stance with the bigger wheels and standard sport suspension but the chunkier bumpers might be making it look a lot nicer than mine would with 18's and standard bumpers

get coilovers if you really want control and are going to lose sleep over 5mm.
I do!!
I have a sport, originally on 17's, dropped it (not sure how much, just till it was right!) then swapped to 18"s, with any suspension it will settle after some use. use the boot more and the rear will settle more than if you don't.

I like mine to be a few mm's higher at the back than the front, not a lot, but I find it handles better and takes loads in the boot without ******* people off with my headlights!

There is no way I am putting coilovers on my car. I like my teeth where they are thanks!

I am putting 18's on it as I have seen Docurlys above and it looks great even with the stock set up, then when I get bored ill go for a shock and spring set up, probably a low drop and more than likely Weitec

Thanks all

PS, Docurley, have you colour coded the standard OEM plastic side sills?

coilovers aren't all bad.
if you get the right spring rate (v imp.) and get some with adjustable rebound (and or bump) settings you will realise what your car really can do. (my car handles like a totally different car now.

yes they are pricey compared to just springs, but most decent ones come with serious guarantees and you should never have to replace them again.

jcb said:
coilovers aren't all bad.
if you get the right spring rate (v imp.) and get some with adjustable rebound (and or bump) settings you will realise what your car really can do. (my car handles like a totally different car now.

yes they are pricey compared to just springs, but most decent ones come with serious guarantees and you should never have to replace them again.

What ones are you using?

I know what you are saying but I just plain dont like them, been in plenty of cars with them on hated it, I bought my car for a comfy cruiser, which I can have a bit of fun in when the mood takes me. It handles astonishingly well for a big car as is. Coilovers are far to extreme and I dont intend on spending that kind of money.

In fact I may even look into springs for the standard shocks with a very minor drop

fair point, I am willing to sacrifice a bit of slop over speed bumps and around town, for the confidence and handling it gives me round corners at 80 (on a track of course)

robbie - I have KW v3's

docurley said:
Not quite sure what you mean as the sills are all RS4 which are painted the same colour as the car.

Oh ok its difficult to tell in the pics

Just looking into ways of giving the car a look that is lower to the ground without actually lowering

Thanks