AH FabricationsSky Insurance
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: S4 clutch

  1. #1
    stapo69's Avatar
    All hail the mighty quattro!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    966

    S4 clutch

    Well I don't know if it's my usual paranoia making me think too much as usual but I reckon my clutch maybe on its way out, doesn't seem to bite as well as it used to, and the pedal seems a little high. Looks like an RS4 clutch kit seems to be the way to go with the sort of power I'm looking at. Unless there's any other recommendations from people? And where's the best place to get em from?

    Anyone tried the fitting job themselves by any chance? I'm imaging it's not a straight forward job, is it ever? If not, has anyone had theirs changed? How long should this job take? Cost? Wanna get the general feel from people who ain't gonna bull**** me before I start getting a few quotes.

    I know there's a lot here guys, but any help/suggestions always appreciated. Thanks in advance peeps.
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Blue_Thunder's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,693
    It's an engine out job. Be prepared to have you pants pulled round your ankles by Mr.Audi!
    Mo power, mo problems

  4. #3
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,597
    Not an engine out job to me, unless engine mods (turbo) replacement are being done at the same time.

    I replace S4 / RS4 clutches by removing the transmission.

    I've just done one in an RS6 Avant, not an easy job if you had to do it on a driveway, but with me doing it on a ramp, wasn't too bad.

    @ Stapo: Get your quotes for parts and labour, then if you're not happy, send me a PM.

  5. #4
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,597
    For your information, the clutch for the S4 / RS4 are one and the same.

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by stapo69
    Well I don't know if it's my usual paranoia making me think too much as usual but I reckon my clutch maybe on its way out, doesn't seem to bite as well as it used to, and the pedal seems a little high. Looks like an RS4 clutch kit seems to be the way to go with the sort of power I'm looking at. Unless there's any other recommendations from people? And where's the best place to get em from?

    Anyone tried the fitting job themselves by any chance? I'm imaging it's not a straight forward job, is it ever? If not, has anyone had theirs changed? How long should this job take? Cost? Wanna get the general feel from people who ain't gonna bull**** me before I start getting a few quotes.

    I know there's a lot here guys, but any help/suggestions always appreciated. Thanks in advance peeps.
    this is what the clutch on my s4 is doing. Seems to judder more when moving off in 1st or 2nd unless you give it loads of welly.
    I had enquired with an ex audi mechanic who claimed that the fitting of the clutch was not the hard part but getting to it was.

    IIRC he said you don't necessarily have to take the engine out but have to drop subframe and remove large potions of the car to get access.

    I am not looking forward to having mine done lol was thinking of seeing if MRC Tuning would do it or QST, surely they would be cheaper than the stealers.

    I did out of interest go to my local clutch centre after they claimed they could do any clutch. " Bring it down and we'll have a look...."

    After 10 minutes of looking in his book he asked
    " Is it an A4?"
    " It's an S4" I replied
    " I think, according to my book, it uses the same clutch as the 1.9Tdi Quattro..." he said
    " I think I have to go" I replied

    Clearly didn't have a clue, so I will have to get it done at a specialist or at work one weekend. Not sure how much the new clutch is but its going to be horrible i know
    2003 S4 Moro Blue Saloon

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    235
    just looked on Vagparts

    RS4 clutch, direct replacement for the S4 one, is 227.01.
    Thats a lot less than I was expecting, but as always it's the labour charge thats the killer
    2003 S4 Moro Blue Saloon

  8. #7
    stapo69's Avatar
    All hail the mighty quattro!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    966
    Yeah, seems the clutch kit itself isn't the expensive bit.

    Mr Clutch just quoted me 1100 fitted! Ouch. Reading on RS246.com Doug from MRC said around 8-9 hrs, if everything comes off ok. Certainly will be avoiding Audi for the job! Can usually blag the ramps at work, so maybe one I'll tackle myself, gonna take a look on ELSA, my friend has a copy of the Audi workshop manual, see how terrifying it's gonna be!

    Gonna wait till I have major issues with it I think. It's fine as it is at the mo, think it's more me worrying, as usual! Prolong the job for as long as possible! Then see where I stand. Hopefully till I am better off and can do other engine out work at the same time, ie turbos! Decat the downpipes too I think.
    Last edited by stapo69; 4th December 2007 at 17:35.
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by stapo69
    Yeah, seems the clutch kit itself isn't the expensive bit.

    Mr Clutch just quoted me 1100 fitted! Ouch. Reading on RS246.com Doug from MRC said around 8-9 hrs, if everything comes off ok. Certainly will be avoiding Audi for the job! Can usually blag the ramps at work, so maybe one I'll tackle myself, gonna take a look on ELSA, my friend has a copy of the Audi workshop manual, see how terrifying it's gonna be!

    Gonna wait till I have major issues with it I think. It's fine as it is at the mo, think it's more me worrying, as usual! Prolong the job for as long as possible! Then see where I stand. Hopefully till I am better off and can do other engine out work at the same time, ie turbos! Decat the downpipes too I think.
    like you I think I am just noticing it more now that I looking out for it if you know what i mean, and will just deal with it when it's undrivable lol
    2003 S4 Moro Blue Saloon

  10. #9
    satans child's Avatar
    project...satans child

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    button moon
    Posts
    133

    clutch....

    Quote Originally Posted by stapo69
    Well I don't know if it's my usual paranoia making me think too much as usual but I reckon my clutch maybe on its way out, doesn't seem to bite as well as it used to, and the pedal seems a little high. Looks like an RS4 clutch kit seems to be the way to go with the sort of power I'm looking at. Unless there's any other recommendations from people? And where's the best place to get em from?

    Anyone tried the fitting job themselves by any chance? I'm imaging it's not a straight forward job, is it ever? If not, has anyone had theirs changed? How long should this job take? Cost? Wanna get the general feel from people who ain't gonna bull**** me before I start getting a few quotes.

    I know there's a lot here guys, but any help/suggestions always appreciated. Thanks in advance peeps.

    i have a nice tripple plate that will do you for a good 1000hp...lol
    fitting it .. well about 10 mins tops ......lol
    how you doing bud...
    pm me your number again ive lost it...

  11. #10
    stapo69's Avatar
    All hail the mighty quattro!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    966
    triple plate might be a bit much me thinks, but if you're gonna fit it in 10 mins I'm there mate!
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

  12. #11
    satans child's Avatar
    project...satans child

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    button moon
    Posts
    133

    .

    yea ive narrowed em down to about 8 mins now .!!!!

  13. #12
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,597
    RS4 clutch, bearing, pressure and friction plate, £220.83.

    Genuine VAG too.

  14. #13
    stapo69's Avatar
    All hail the mighty quattro!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    966
    Cheers Siena, good price. I'll be in touch if things get any worse.
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

  15. #14
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,562
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mark
    but as always it's the labour charge thats the killer
    Did you never ring Dean in the end then??

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,597
    Satan, how much is a decent RS4 clutch?

    I don't mean OEM, more of an uprated jobbie, that's not to fierce and sudden.

  17. #16
    stapo69's Avatar
    All hail the mighty quattro!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    966
    Not seen satan on here for ages. Try him on rs246 mate, he's on there. Have a look at the pics of satanschild, she's a bit different now!

    http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNph...ht=satanschild
    MRC-Powerflex-Hotchkis-Porsche-Compomtive-Vredestein-034-JHM-Apikol-EBC-FK-Labree-Vibrant-Recaro

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO