messy rear suspension and unstable rear end , Help please!

kninio

Reaction score
Hello ,

I have audi a4 v6 , FWD , the problem is the rear end of the car is like loosy and not stable , i feel as if it have loosen wheel nuts any body know why is that any experience about this?

I droven another one 4 cylinders , and the rear was stable and as it was solid in the ground , while my car is sport edition which is lowered and the other one normal hight.

Note , rear shock absorbers brand new genuine the red one , and the axle beam guide bushes is replaced last week also genuince and still the same issue.

Help please

they have adjustable camber on rear? maybe the settings out?

or maybe just not put back together well, mite have loose suspension bolts...yikes

Mines been feeling a bit rear end hapy recently. 75mph coming off a motorway on a fairly tight slip road was a bit dodgy. Interested to see what people suggest..

To Shifty , my car is not quattro , and what do u mean by adjustable camber on rear?

about loosing suspension bolts , i wanna check this too..

TO Randomjim : i cant get in corner over 100 km/h , while in the other car i drove i passed the same corner 140km/h and it was still stand in ground , my car feel like it will drift.

any one have this experience? could it be the rear axle beam damaged? or what can make this issue?

I would change the axle bushes, thats what sorted mine out. I fitted a set of OEM ones to mine,transformed the handling. Stopped the rear stepping out suddenly

Byzan , i changed them last weekend , but same issue , do u think the shock mounts can make this too?

My '97 A4 quattro has a twitchy rear end too.

I'm fitting Bilstein sport dampers, Eibach springs, OE real bushes and a full set of front lower and upper arms.

Will evaluate handling, fitting the lot tomorrow.

wow glad mine feels great no disrespect but i dont fancy the bill for that lot altho if you can fit yourself thats a diff story i guess...

Sarah , what is the ARB , My car is not quattro :( , this week i will change the muffler and i will lie down under the car and inspect it , and i will take out the rear shocks and recheck them and change the mounts bushes... bearing.. we will see what will be , hope it will be solved!

ah ARB , The anti roll bar is built in the axle beam mount.

Jcb , what is geometry?

when you do bushes, ARB, suspension etc it is essential to have your four wheel geometry checked. even if you are 2wd your wheels should all be pointing in the same direction and have the correct camber/castor.
The layout for the suspension components on the A4 leaves a wide adjustment in the camber and toe in (wheels like this \ / or like this / \)

If for example you had overly positive camber on a rear left wheel it would lose grip, potentially quite suddenly depending on tyres, on a righthand corner.
add this to messed up tyre pressure, uneven tyre wear or tyres that are different brands/ages on different sides and it can dramatically affect handling

you need a proper 4 wheel geometry place not the posy kwikfit set up.
costs about £50-90 depending on work done etc. well worth it before you start taking bits off.
they should have done one already when the did the work you described

ah , i changed bushes by myself and shocks too , this week i will change the front control arms and make for it wheel alignment , but i will first change the rear shocks mounts , i think the strut mounts wearing and making this play.. i will change all those to be sure nothing left old then we will see.

could it be the rear subframe (axle beam) , get that shape / \ from heavy load i mean the rear wheel spreaded? or no?

Hi
Yes if you did the fitting yourself , it could be worth getting it set up
The geo will do the tracking front and rear
Worth doing or you could also get more tyre wear on the front and rear tyres
Sarah

worth doing rear shock top mounts, they're not expensive.

kninio said:
could it be the rear subframe (axle beam) , get that shape / \ from heavy load i mean the rear wheel spreaded? or no?

not unless you have been carrying 3 ton nuclear devices

Jcb , aha now i know what is the problem , how did u know i been carrying that? :p

A quick update:

Following the unpleasant discovery of the twitching rear of my '97 A4 quattro, I had already decided to upgrade.

Yesterday, I fitted 4 Bilstein Sport dampers, (yellow) 4 Eibach sport springs, (lowers by 30mm) a complete set of front lower arms, and all rear swivel arm bushes.

The front arms weren't bad, but while it was all stripped down, it made perfect sense to replace them. Rear bushes weren't too bad either, at least not the lower ones.

The upper swivel arms however, had had it. The were so bad, that upon removing the through bolt, the centres fell out! I pressed new ones in, and after re-assembly of the whole lot, took her for 4 wheel alignment.

She handles razor sharp, no twitching or knocks at all. She also sits a fair bit lower too.

Well worth the money spent. The whole job, bar wheel alignment took me 2.7 hours.

I've not read all the posts, but my old 99 was like this @ 120,000 miles.
Had the rear axle bushes done. BINGO! Sorted. No snaking from the rear over bumps anymore.
Only £12 each and an hour to do, my local mechanic did it without removing the wheels, they just dropped the front of the axle down.

Siena : how low the eibach spring make the car? lower then the oem sport springs? or almost identical but they are harder?

does the spring lose theire resistance with years?

JayB5UK : I did the same job at home , just remove the bolts of the bushes and lowerd the axle beam a bit , and made a a tool for taking out the bushes and fiting them and it took me like 2 hours to make it donne.

@ Kninio: Eibach set-up lowered the car approximately 30mm. My car did have the optional Sport Pack, so was lower than standard A4 quattro.

Handling is a lot tighter, but not harsh, which is what I wanted. It's still very comfortable, as the 30mm reduction in height still gives enough compliance.

Siena : how lower they are then the oem sport pack? 1 cm? , i need to make my car tighter in the road.

does the springs has a life time? that they become soft and less resistance then they should be?

Siena , do u have picture for your ride now with the eibach?

Kninio, my car is a lot lower now than OEM sport pack car.

Of course, springs MAY get softer with age, only natural. The original OEM sport springs were 10 years old, so I should imagine life of Eibach to be similar, or better.

Pictures...

15112007082.jpg

15112007084.jpg

15112007083.jpg

15112007081.jpg

hmm , your car looks like as low as my car now with the oem sport pack , i think my spring is dead and that is why it fall down as your eibach kit , i think that is the reason why its hapy in the rear?, i will post pictures too and compare it .

Your car is a quattro? or normal?

the kit you bought is 30mm x 30mm in front? right? or even more lower?

from where you get it?

Siena , which interior do u have in your car? can u post a picture?

Kninio, mine is a quattro. Yes, kit is 30mm front and rear. I got the Bilstein dampers through Audi, the Eibach springs through an independent supplier in the UK.

Kninio, interior is stock. For now...

25082007120.jpg

aha ,

Siena , i bought interior like your but its in the light grey color instead of dark as your , but the driver sit side show a little wear , do u know a supplier sale same fabrique to repaire it? , or do u know some one has a complete interior like your that want to sale it? i would buy the fabriques from him for the interior price.

cheers :)

I found out what is the mater , the right rear one is cracked :( , any body have a pair of rear springs? front wheel drive sport edition , with out rust?

I would like to buy some , any body have idea how much price them new?

cheers