cambelt worry

turboaudi

Reaction score
heres the story, got in the car this morning and started it . it died after about a second. so tried to turn it over and it just spun faster, f**k the cambelt has snapped , so i thought . got it towed towork as i am a tyre fitter ,and work in a sort of a garage. checked the cambelt and it was intact. but it had a bit of movement in the belt ie slacker than usual. so i thought id give it another try. kept turning it over and it started up. and now it ticks over fine with no knocking or anything, no dash warning lights are on, ive now bought a cam kit for it and im in the process of stripping it down for it to go on.anyone have any ideas as to what it could have been or have i just caught it in time before any damage has been done. advice greatly recieved

Sounds like the immobiliser if it fires up then dies immediately, did you get the "key" warning light on the dash?
Doubt it's cambelt related as they either work, or they snap/jump - very little in between.

Have you started it up and say moved it up the drive, or along the road / across to another space within a day or so before it happened?
My saloon did this to me on my Birthday last year and I shat myself!
The day before I had just moved it from one side of the road to outisde our house, fired up from cold and turned off in under 30 secs I spose. When I went the next day the same as you describe happened, I looked inside the cover etc. nothing wrong so kept turning it over and it started and ran fine!

the missus moved it on to the drive the night before, which probably was under a minute to do, which sounds the same as what you did..... ive got all the front end stripped off now and it looks like the belt has jumped a tooth on the bottom cog, there was no knocking when it was ticking over , so the cam belt kit is going on today. the rocker had leeked oil on to the belt so i think it had weakened it, thus making it a bit slack

The 1.8 T can run a tooth out with no problems so you were lucky if this is whats happened.

Markey said:
The 1.8 T can run a tooth out with no problems so you were lucky if this is whats happened.
yep jumped one tooth. just got to put her back together now. i think that most audi engines are high interfearance engines so if all is ok than i think i have been lucky

It may have been like it since last belt change anyway really? I think there is some strange reason they don't like to be run up then shut off while still on cold start cycle.
Anyway, all's well that ends well.

turboaudi said:
all done and running sweet, thank f**k

Good to hear it after just spending 100s on a rebuild becasue somone done mine wrong.

Markey said:
Good to hear it after just spending 100s on a rebuild becasue somone done mine wrong.
sorry to hear that mate, shouldnt the person that did it wrong be paying though