Oil Consumption

johnie72

Reaction score
My 2.8 30v is drinking oil like a madman. For the past couple of months it has been getting through about 1ltr every 600 miles or so. Any other 2.8 owners have the same trouble?

This seems excessive to me and there are definately no leaks......

mine takes about 1 liter for 10k miles, i think it's normal for V6 .

1ltr every 10k miles sounds spot on. Mine is using about 1ltr every 600 miles not, as I assume you thought, 6,000.

The car pulls well and there is no smoke at all from the exhaust, even when I rag it.

Anyone know what the problem might be?????

Its probably quite normal fella, check the airbox and check the exhaust tip to see if there is any signs of oil deposits, if you feel up to it, remove a section of the air intake pipe and have a look inside for oil.

1l seems a lot for 600 miles, what oil are you using?

I use Mobil 1. There are no signs of oil deposits in the exhaust or intake.

Yeah, they do seem to drink it like fuel. Im filling 1 litre very roughly every 1000 miles ish. Slight side point I did think as it was flushing through quickly there is not really much need to change it! Any views on this...

rusty1983 said:
Yeah, they do seem to drink it like fuel. Im filling 1 litre very roughly every 1000 miles ish. Slight side point I did think as it was flushing through quickly there is not really much need to change it! Any views on this...

made me laugh. What about the filter???? leave that in too? after all, that new oil must be clean eh?

Saying that, ther are some people who gettheir oil changed, with filter, in half the audi recommended time.

according to my audi owners manual for my 2.8, the say it will use half a litre per 1000km, but will increase depending on where and how you drive it, so advise checking levels regularly

so yours sound fairly normal as mine uses about 3/4 litre every 1000 miles, they seem to use as much oil as my old 2stroke aprillia 250 motor bike did lol

mine use 2 liters every 7000 km , and i use audi genuine oil filter i change it every 14k km , but i have leak from the oil pressure switch and maybe from the upper valley pan gasket , i will be sure whois the guilty when i change the oil pressure switch , also last time it been in workshop for a month and when i drove it theire was a big white cloud and it disapeared after a while so i think i also have problem in the valve steam seals i heard they are comon to go with millage over 70K , as here also is very hot weather so it shorts theire life and gets more dry.

which oil do u use there? i been using castrol 10-40 sentatic , but i will switch to the 5-40 what do u recomend?

I use 5w30 synthetic and it seems to be working fine. I'd recommend full synthetic if you have more than 50,000 I've been using it for a while and my 98 A4 has 190,000 on it and seems to be working fine. I haven't had anything major gone wrong with it.