Car is in the garage

Donald_MacIver

Reaction score
My car's gone in to the garage this morning for a service and MOT. I am hoping its not going to be too expensive, but i have one concern. My power steering rack is leaking fluid, and I have been topping up the reservoir bottle every couple of weeks. I have looked at the price of a replacement rack, and it’s not cheap, at about £250! I hope it’s not the actual rack, that maybe it is a rubber seal or rubber boot, or a pipe maybe, if i am lucky.

Apart from that I think it will sail through the MOT. I am having the rear brakes replaced too, as they are pretty desperate. I feel an expensive month coming up!:(

Ouch!

I hate taking mine in when you know something is wrong, as opposed to just a normal service etc.
I always now seperate my MOT and servicing etc. I just take mine to a local place just for the MOT and any faults me, my mates or the local indie do and I take it back for a check and a fresh certificate.
Good luck, hope it's not too harsh.

mine just passed the mot, and after 154k and 8 years it passed with no problems (still on origanal control arms also)

Well, i just called the garage, and they gave me some good news and some bad news!

The good news is that the car passed the MOT!

The bad news is that the steering rack itself is leaking and will need replacing sooner rather than later.

I have just priced up a replacement rack with both GSF and Euro Car Parts, and they both come in at about £435 inc the surcharge and the VAT :ohmy:

Double that to include fitting as well, mine was £800 all in and that was a recon exchange rack with Audi, though no way was I gonna let them fit it at £90/hour!

Mine done the same thing. Leaking from the rack on the drivers side. Got a recon unit and thats seaping so getting it done again for free obviously. But its a total pain in the hide!!!

Was laugh when i phoned Glasgow Audi to price the rack. They wanted 485 + VAT just to supply the rack and around £500 for labour. The guy on the phone even said that was a **** take.

Well, would you believe it, my luck was in today!

I have just purchased a brand new genuine part rack from 4ringsspares, for the grand total of £160 delivered!

I think today was my lucky day! I don't feel so bad now :)

Donald,
It's not an easy job - especially with the engine in. Even worse if you have an S4 with 2 turbos right in front of it!
The rack sits right below the bulkhead beneath the battery and brake servo but it can't be got at from underneath unless you remove the gearbox.
It needs to be unbolted from the bulkhead (the bolts are beneath the battery tray and servo) and then taken out sideways once the plastic shrounds have been removed. The pain is undoing the pipes to it. It's a good few hours work.

Hope this helps,
John

Oh and the pinch bolt for the UJ needs to be undone that connects the column to the rack. This is inside behind the pedals. Only one bolt but a g*t to get at!

John