2.6 Quattro

Z82

Reaction score
Website
www.nosmodified.com
Hi,

Just bought myself an 'N' 1996 A4 2.6 V6 Quattro Saloon, my 6th Audi but first Quattro.

The car is a high mileage (120,000) but has a full Audi service history and the cambelt was done at 83,000.

Firstly Im looking to know if there are anything I should have checked out with it being a new car to me and should I get the cambelt done again?

Secondly what modifications would you recommend for more power bearing in mind its mileage (looking for relatively cheap mods with reasonable power gain since the car isnt worth a hell of a lot)?

TIA

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Nice spec car you have choosen, i think your A4 is the B5 chassis model, maybe worth posting in that section for a better response.

Maybe some keen and new moderator would move this post for me.....

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Just bought myself an 'N' 1996 A4 2.6 V6 Quattro Saloon, my 6th Audi but first Quattro.

The car is a high mileage (120,000) but has a full Audi service history and the cambelt was done at 83,000.

Firstly Im looking to know if there are anything I should have checked out with it being a new car to me and should I get the cambelt done again?

Secondly what modifications would you recommend for more power bearing in mind its mileage (looking for relatively cheap mods with reasonable power gain since the car isnt worth a hell of a lot)?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there are many mods you can do that will make a great deal of difference to the power of the 2.6V6.

[ QUOTE ]

Nice spec car you have choosen, i think your A4 is the B5 chassis model,

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this WAS the A4/B5 Chassis forum??!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nice spec car you have choosen, i think your A4 is the B5 chassis model,

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this WAS the A4/B5 Chassis forum??!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. The thread's been moved.

[ QUOTE ]
oh i c...sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok. Your attention is diverted elsewhere at the moment. Talking of which, how is the S4 situation?

I have a chip for sale for a 2.6Q...roughly around 10-12 HP with about the same ft/lb torque + increases redline to 7k. Makes a huge difference to performance. I have a full SS exhaust system for sale aswell.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh i c...sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok. Your attention is diverted elsewhere at the moment. Talking of which, how is the S4 situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i walked away again today...only this time i was £500 lighter after a deposit and a great big f-ing smile from one side of the road to the other!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Get it early next week!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Get it early next week!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one! I hope to be where you are soon. I'm viewing a 52-plate 2.4SE Multitronic tomorrow. Let's hope it turns out to be a deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Thanks for moving it, thats why i couldnt find it again lol and B4/B5 ermmm not got a clue im an older audi person ie this is the newest audi ive ever had by about 7 years lol

[ QUOTE ]
I have a chip for sale for a 2.6Q...roughly around 10-12 HP with about the same ft/lb torque + increases redline to 7k. Makes a huge difference to performance. I have a full SS exhaust system for sale aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are you looking for each and got a little more info on each aswell?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for moving it, thats why i couldnt find it again lol and B4/B5 ermmm not got a clue im an older audi person ie this is the newest audi ive ever had by about 7 years lol

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, a quick tutorial:

The B5 chassis is the A4 model built between 1995 and early 2001. That's what you've just bought and I'm just about to sell.

The B6 replaced it in March 01 and ran until the end of 2004. That's what I'm just about to buy.

The B6 was replaced by the current B7 model (the one with the huge square grille)

Hope that helps.

[ QUOTE ]
So Jeff, which one are you buying again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, got a bit over-excited. Promise I won't mention it again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, a quick tutorial:

The B5 chassis is the A4 model built between 1995 and early 2001. That's what you've just bought and I'm just about to sell.

The B6 replaced it in March 01 and ran until the end of 2004. That's what I'm just about to buy.

The B6 was replaced by the current B7 model (the one with the huge square grille)

Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh sorry after I posted that i noticed it in the forum description /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, got a bit over-excited. Promise I won't mention it again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, i really don't know what A4 your buying though.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, a quick tutorial:

Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh sorry after I posted that i noticed it in the forum description /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, an easy mistake to make and we are quite forgiving too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, i really don't know what A4 your buying though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers Jeff, i see now, by your sig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh...........

BMC Carbon Airbox - £180

Cat back/ de-cat system - Around £600 for a miltek

Chipped - Varies according to power increase your looking for.

Not many performance mods for the v6 range, most bits are made for the 1.8t's.

Way more than what im hoping to spend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just feel that for a 2.6 V6 that 150bhp is crapso was hoping i could get maybe an extra 30bhp for under 500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Custom de-cat mate. Just messing around we made a straight through centre section for mine and it felt so much quicker.....Although it was excessively loud with the standard box and popped a lot!

Now thats a cheap mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Way more than what im hoping to spend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just feel that for a 2.6 V6 that 150bhp is crapso was hoping i could get maybe an extra 30bhp for under 500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Think your gonna struggle to get 30bhp from 2.6 with little money. You not interested in the bits rixio is selling, not been in his car but i've heard the exhaust & it sounds sweet.

[ QUOTE ]
You not interested in the bits rixio is selling, not been in his car but i've heard the exhaust & it sounds sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting to hear back from him but its only gonna give me a little over 10bhp

Would have thought with the ecu & zorst you should see 15-20bhp, but if you want a quicker car buy a quicker car or one with more modding pottential imo.

Yeh its no super fast but for a 10 year old car its pretty mint and has a full audi service history might hang fire till i have more money and slap a turbo on it lol

should have got the 2.5 tdi, thats 150 bhp and you can get 30bhp for about 100 quid.

Not that this helps you but i only realised that the 2.6 V6 was 150hp after i bought my 193hp 2.8 V6 bit of a bitch considering it's only .2 in terms of capacity, sure someone here can explain why it's an extra 43hp.

I'll post some pics too when i take some decent ones and can upload them!

It's because the 2.6 is an older generation, 12-valve engine, carried over from the Audi 80 and 90 models from the late eighties, early nineties. The 2.8 only turned about 170bhp in 12-valve mode.

Then, round about 1996, Audi revamped the V6 engine, with 30-valve heads. This increased the power in the 2.8 to 193 bhp. At the same time, they introduced a brand new 2.4 with 165bhp. The2.6 was dropped altogether.

Wish i dis some research befor I bought mine. I knew the 2.8 was 193bhp but didnt know what the 2.6 was putting out till after I bought it but then again its still a crackin car if I could just squeeze a bit more out of it.

Lol i'd still like 250 -300hp but i suppose you get what your given with a V6 Next stop S4...well in na few years!