Does anyone know..?

Sulli79

Reaction score
I have a 99 facelift 1.8 that has the older dial clock on the cluster, im looking to replace the engine with the one from a car im breaking, also a 99 but with digital clock on the cluster.

if i take the loom for the later engine and fit it to my car, how much rewiring will be required, if any to make it work?

Has your current car got oil level sensor in the sump?

Edit: This might help a bit as well.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/134267-small-project.html

No oil level in the current car, i was thinking that the mid facelift clocks probably dont support the oil level so it may be that i just fit the original loom to the replacement engine, and leave the oil level redundant.

that or fit the entire loom from the other car, which im not sure i fancy!

PFL clocks don't have a oil level sensor and their oil temp sensor is in the engine block somewhere and their revs are not done via canbus.

FL clocks have/use and need the oil level sensor and oil temp sensor that is in the sump. They get their revs via canbus signals from the ECU.

There are other differences between the two but the above is the main stumbling block.

You can fit FL clocks in a PFL B5 but you need to rewire the plugs and add one or use an adaptor loom (Like what I'm running). You will also need to add the oil level/temp sensor in the sump and change the adoption to use immob 2 instead of 3 to get the revs working.

Its not a massive job. its only a weekend job really if you have everything already.
You will need a key coding to the clocks as well.

I may have confused the situation a bit! I'm not really looking to fit clocks, I want to fit a full facelift engine loom/harness to a part facelift. Both cars have the same ecu part no, I just need somebody to confirm if it will be ok due to the differences in the looms

When I removed the engine I left the loom attached, I believe a few sensors have different connections, so if the ecu's read the same info through the same pins it's quicker for me to just swap engine and loom as one unit.

No, you really need to keep the original loom, as the oil sensor wiring is different.

You could keep the facelift loom, but the oil temp guage wouldnt work.

Thats also assuming the pinouts at the bulkhead are the same, but i'm fairly sure they are.

I think it would be easier to simply swap the loom over, yes a few sensors have different plugs, so just swap those as well.