Knock when pulling away

Avant821

Reaction score
Car is a 2000 Avant 1.8T
Had a knock for a while and can't work out where it's coming from.
It comes and goes, but seems to be more regular now.
It's coming from underneath the front, I think it's the drivers side, wife thinks it's the passenger side, it can be felt through the floor and is easily audible.
It knocks only once on acceleration,doesn't have to be from a stand still but the brakes need to have been applied for it to knock again, and the acceleration doesn't have to be fast.
All arms have been checked and seem ok, passed the MOT recently while the knock was there.
The ARB link bushes are debonding but dont rattle like I'd expect
Strangely,during the period of hot weather several weeks ago it wasn't there, it only knocked again after the car had been driven in rain!
Other symptoms, not necessarily related is the OSF tyre is wearing on the outside edge, the car pulls slightly to the right if you let go of the steering wheel, I have had the car on a 4 wheel laser alignment and it was adjusted to correct tracking,but it still pulls, it does go in a straight line with the steering wheel straight.
Track rod end , OSF upper arm and NS engine mount have been changed recently in the hope of curing the issues without success.
Any ideas anyone?

I have a similar knock which is only there from cold it does it in the morning mostly when pulling away its a sort off knock knock knock mines only done it since fitting the 034 snub and bracket so i can only think my engine mounts are on there last legs !!

you say youve just had the osf mount replaced ?? Have you checked to see if the mounting nuts are tight ??

I should check both mounts bolts really, but I know the knock was there before and after fitting the new mount. I was hoping that the leaked mount that I replaced was snubbing and causing the knock but unfortunately wasn't to be.
I am tempted to fit a stiffer snub to the front to see if reducing the torque movement of the block might help, just need to get the time to do it, never done the front end off service mode thing before.

You dont need the front end off to do the snub mount !!

you just take the lower engine mount nuts off to allow movement of the engine then you can just about do it, id upgrade the engine mounts with the snub as i think this maybe whats causing my knocking noise as the snub is rock solid so think theres too much engine movement causing it to rock and knock in the bracket !!