Catch Can location

Why are you thinking of fitting one Scott?

tony

Seeing pictures from what the petrol boys empty out of their catch cans, thinking the diesel is a more oily engine and seeing the amount of oil seeping out of the EGR blank, I thought it would be a good idea.

Good thinking!
Not sure where you'd put one though,maybe on the bulkhead?

tony

Good thinking!
Not sure where you'd put one though,maybe on the bulkhead?

tony

not sure.
It needs to be accessible so you can drain it but at the same time I don't want pipes all over the engine bay making it look messy.
I did think about under the plastic battery tray but not sure i'd drain it or the running of the pipes.

Just had a quick look at my bay,it would maybe fit near the power steering res,theres a space there on mine.
S for draining,how about some sort of quick release bracket so you can lift the can upwards then put a bottle or something under it?

tony

thing is, they are cheap enough on ebay.
I don't want to start redesign it and costing me more than buying a cheap unit.

I'll take a look tomorrow at mine. I might be able to hide it under a cover.

Remove the coolant tank theres probably enough room under there and its only 3x pozi screws to remove it !!

Why not just setup an oil seperator and pipe it back to the sump? That way, the blowby gasses are "filtered" and the oil drops out of suspension and runs back to the engine, and theres nothing to empty.

wouldn't a vent to atmo lead to oil dripping onto the road though?

tony

Not necessarily as the catch can should in theory 'catch' the oil and just release the vapours it would only throw it onto the roads if it was getting quite full or over flowing.

If I remember rightly.some older fords(poss mk1 fiesta) had a seperater on the crankcase breather,which would split the oil from the gases

tony

Any joy on this scott ??

also anyone done this to there 1.8T who can post some pics of location and piping that would be great !!

Yes. forgot to post.

My can will fit below the coolant bottle.
Loads of room and easy to drain as well.
So I'm going to put it there, need to get some pipe ordered up and get it routed.

I got some 19mm stainless steel pipe work here to go with it.
need to convert the 15mm inlet and out let on the can to 19mm and get the pipes ordered up.