"sensible" MOT place near Edinburgh

jcb

Reaction score
Anyone know of a "sensible" MOT place near Edinburgh?
The guy I have been using seems to think he is in the cast of CSI now!

its an old car and I don't want Sherlock Holmes getting all "elementary" on the poor old thing. That, and if it needs work I will simply have to scrap it,

cheers

Best bet i find is speaking to a "friend of a friend" who will usually let the cat issue etc go on the day, ask around your area.

I have! not much TBH
prospect of a mate of a mate out of Edinburgh by 30 miles

What is it failing on?

TBH the MOT is such a basic standard, it really shouldnt be difficult to get a car through one...

well my last place wouldnt "try" to get it through.
No messing to get the emissions right, or any leeway

I dont know what it is going to fail on, point being once tested you either bend over and have whatever is broken fixed on site or take it away and pay a retest fee.

Nah, there is quite an extensive list of items they CANT charge you a retest fee on, and a further list which they can only charge a maximum of 50% on. You usually get a week to sort it as well.

I've found Steve Girdwoods in Livingston to be fairly reasonable on things that are a bit borderline. IE he'd rather pass it and say "get those pads changed" than fail it because they're 0.5mm under spec.

I was told it was an instant retest fee once you remove it from the garage! cheeky cnuts!

will look him up.

Some info here:

MOT Retest Procedures and Information

If its on that list they CANT charge you for a retest, however you need to sort it within 24hours.

If its not on that list, then you have 10 working days to fix it, and they can only charge you a partial test fee (some places wont charge anything):

If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged.

The current maximum fee for a partial MOT retest is half of the original MOT Test Fee.

Girdwoods is here:
Girdwood's Garage - Garage Related Services in Edinburgh EH54 5DJ - 192.com