blue light conversion on dash? any advise?

darby7

Reaction score
hi again

i'm thinking about changing the red illumination on the dash to blue. i've seen some bulbs that i think are the correct ones for the switches, not sure about the guages untill i take it apart. anybody out there done this or have any info?

thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Slightly offtopic- but ive seen the instrument cluster leds soldered off and blue or white ones put on- looked good.

Not sure whole dash would as love the red Audi look.

[ QUOTE ]
hi again

i'm thinking about changing the red illumination on the dash to blue. i've seen some bulbs that i think are the correct ones for the switches, not sure about the guages untill i take it apart. anybody out there done this or have any info?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to say this but.....ewwww /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif
I say keep the red. Audi's known for the red interior lights. Why take that away?

[ QUOTE ]
hi again

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want blue illumination, buy a different car.

Golf maybe...

Sticking with VAG of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the main reson for thinking about doing this is i have an uprated stereo and sat nav system and would love it if the whole dash matched. it looks a little odd at the moment with the red, and blue.
don't get me wrong the red audi look is lovely but a little personalising never hurt anyone. if it looks rubbish then it goes back to red and i'm in the market for a new stereo!.
if i do it i'll post pics and you can let me know what you think.

u'd prob find it easier to change the LEDs on the stereo.
think from memory the dials etc are colour masks so u'd have to get new ones of those. only blue ones i could find when i looked where in kmph from germany.

why change the dash for the head unit?

if u change the head unit in the future, then youll want to change the dash again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well like it or hate it I’m doing it.

And the reason why is because I want a change.

I already have the kit to do it and am also going to do the doors once I figure what I need for that.

On my car the dials are white and they light up white so I already don't have red on the dash unlike my 2.8 which is Red but the 1.8TQ on my 2000 are white so going blue wont be a big deal.

And I have no interest in changing cars, as I'm not aware of one car with blue illumination.

nice one guys, some positive responses at last!!!!!!
as i said before if i don't like it i i'll put it back to red.
i'll post some pics once it's done... unless you beat me to it Dave! (thanks for the side skirts mate, they look better than i expected!) Ed

[ QUOTE ]
nice one guys, some positive responses at last!!!!!!
as i said before if i don't like it i i'll put it back to red.
i'll post some pics once it's done... unless you beat me to it Dave! (thanks for the side skirts mate, they look better than i expected!) Ed

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a prob myman,

As for dash, I have the stuff to do it just not the time. I should be picking her up Saturday and trying to put her all back together so that she get to the MOT at 4pm then V.I.C. test 8:30am Tuesday before I can put it back on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

bet you can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope it all goes to plan mate......
i forgot to ask, where did you get the handbrake cover on your 2.8 from? ebay?

[ QUOTE ]
bet you can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
i forgot to ask, where did you get the handbrake cover on your 2.8 from? ebay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoned body shop today and all is going to plan so I have been told.

Not from ebay but the company that supplied my wheels had it and I bought from them for trade due to all the probs with my wheels but I will dig out the make later and post up but they begin with L, Loss something like that, they also do some funky steering wheels.

Well could not get outside to cary on with the car so I fitted my LED's and rings.

1.8t+Dash+LED1.JPG

DSC01115.JPG

1.8t+Dash+2.JPG

DSC01096.JPG

Cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Where did you get the rings Doc? Cost? They look great.

I saw some a while back but don't remember where...

How difficult was it to remove the clocks?

Cheers

T

P.S. I've just spotted that you have Carbon trim one side of the steering wheel and Aluminium on the other side... why is that?

[ QUOTE ]
It easy to get the dash out pull the little panel off just bellow the clocks two screws and pull out removing the cables connected to the back of the clocks, 5min job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so, it just looks too easy!

[ QUOTE ]
Fitting the ring takes about 1 hour taking your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so long? Doesn't seem like there's a lot involved...

Also, have you seen the other Alu borders/edgings this guy has for sale? Looks like one for the stereo and a set for the heater vents but there's one I'm not certain about... the split rectangular one... any ideas?

Cheers

Tim

I stated it would take a hour as you need to take your time or your going to get glue every where trust me your use the hour or your F8@k the bezel up with glue as the bottom rings are very close to the clear plastic.

As for the other rings you have to start thinking will this Carlos up my trim or will it still look prestige.

The vent might look good but the others might not. Also the quality of these is not A1 but look great hidden in the dash just not so sure how good the other would be.

At the end of the day they are cheap and I had nothing really to loose.

Yeah I thought the same as soon as I saw the other stuff... proper Nova-styli! Tacky as a two-dollar ho's pants!

Didn't realise they had to be glued... that's why I wondered about the timescale to fit them... thought they would be clip-on or similar.

I'll see how it goes, if I can get them cheap enough I guess I may as well give them a try. Doubt I'll go with those others though.

Cheers

T

[ QUOTE ]
Dave, where did you get the white dials from? another ebay bargain..?
i've seen some on ebay like yours but i need ones with the anologue clock rather than the window for the dig display.
i thought i'd ask as if anyone knows where to get them it's you!
blue looks good, i've started mine. i'm gonna try and do the whole dash though. this is why i need different dials as the translucent red is on the back of the audi dial.
cheers matey

[/ QUOTE ]

My came with white dials as standard but here are some links that might help.

Dials 1

Dial 2 (intresting)

Dial 3 (This may be the one for you)

Dial 4 (something different)

thanks Dave,
the first one would be perfect if only in mph!
the 3rd one is the one i'd seen but is not suitable with the cut out.
not really feeling the 4th one!
appreciate the help
Ed

thanks mate, i've ordered the blue bulbs for the heater dials.
i mucked about with the original audi speedo and the translucent red scrapes off the back of the dial, then just to add the translucent blue film & hopefully job done..?
just waiting on all the bits now so i can get on it, it'll probally look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif but it's something to do!
cheers for all the help & info