Do I need to grow up?????

adidasandy

Reaction score
Silly question but it's got to be asked. Do people still fit dump valves and is it too cheesey to have one fitted to a S4 B5 (mine). Love the sound of the m especially a discrete one that sounds nice (not in ya face).
Feed back please as this is a poll that will decide the outcome.

I have a forge dump valve on the scooby, and yea it is cheesy and makes fuel consumption worse, thought Audi's like VW's didnt respond well to dump valves unless they were recirculating (silent) type

Don't know buddy, I have 770 diverter valves fitted, god if fuel consumption got any worse I won't go anywhere. I also had them on my STI RA and loved it but the Audi is more conservative isn't it?

With an open filter and a better diverter valve like a forge 007p it's pretty loud without the need for a proper dump valve. Especially when mapped.

Just been looking at the specs of the car and it has Hyperboost DV valve fitted what ever them are?

Do what you wanna do! If you like it go for it, I've got a k+n air filter on my 18t and it's been mapped, no dump/diverter valve and I still get that fluttering type whooshy sort of sound that you'd get from a d/v.
It's a controllable too when changing gear, ease off the throttle slightly just before changing gear and it's pretty much silent or leave your foot planted till the last second and you've got your noise......best of both worlds!!!

If its fluttering is knackered lol

Reactions: floyd 1.8 turbo
I just want a bit of noise but nowt chavtastic. Need to see what diverter valves I have 1st. I see you can get uprated springs for the forge 007p. What would suit my engine, it's running at 352 at the fly and boosts at 1 bar.

No techy knowledge about them but there is something cool about them.
Don't care how chavy or cheesy they are, they noise just makes me giggle like a school boy.
Bit like hammond in the noble. lol

i had the "flutter-chatter" noise when i fitted an induction kit to the Scoob, wastegate chatter its called i think, but it messed the fueling bigtime and caused it to run lean on bank 3 , potentially fatal for scoobys...

but it made a better noise than the dump valve

When my diverter valve vac line split it sound more like compressor stall which sounded like what some people call wastegate chatter so if you can hear this noise get it done quickly as there is a risk of snapping the turbine shaft luckily I was literally round the corner from my house after my evening commute home from work !!!

Stick with a diverter as with these cars if you have a baileys etc that dumps to atmosphere it ***** the fuelling up !! As the maf as told the ecu the amount of air it intakes to allow for the correct amount of fuel so if you dump the air you mess things up, we had a mk4 golf gti in work the other day and it sounded ok but as the bonnet was up I just blipped the throttle with my hand to here the DV and wot do you no the car started to replicate a slight misfire and it put me right of as I quite liked it lol each to there own tho !!!

My old 710 caused proper ace compressor stall. I found myself randomly going FullThrottle-Lift every time i passed a bus stop with young folks in it, or kiddies with their corsas and saxos and the like.

When i finally replaced it with a new 710N the noise went away :(

I think i may be forced to install a Forge with a stiff spring so i can get my "check me, i have a turbo" noise back!

Reactions: floyd 1.8 turbo
My old 710 caused proper ace compressor stall. I found myself randomly going FullThrottle-Lift every time i passed a bus stop with young folks in it, or kiddies with their corsas and saxos and the like.

I think i may be forced to install a Forge with a stiff spring so i can get my "check me, i have a turbo" noise back!

You big ****** kid.

Lol

i had the "flutter-chatter" noise when i fitted an induction kit to the Scoob, wastegate chatter its called i think, but it messed the fueling bigtime and caused it to run lean on bank 3 , potentially fatal for scoobys...

but it made a better noise than the dump valve

There's no such thing as wastegate chatter, blame dopey media types for that one. The sound is nothing more than the compressed air having nowhere to go once the throttle butterfly closes and the air seeping back through the turbo the wrong way, in effect beng chopped by the blades of the compressor wheel.

This is my old Fiesta RS Turbo chattering like a goodun
Fiesta RS Turbo chatter - YouTube
Fiesta RS Turbo Chatter II - YouTube

I'm running a Forge 007 recirc on my A4 and it's brilliant. However a mate of mine has given me an HKS SQV for helping him out so I'm going to fit it for a laugh and see how it goes. I know it will balls teh fueling a bit but sometimes you have to just roll with these things. lol

Last edited:
My mate has some 007p's I can try if I want but what spring should be fitted for my mapped engine. Specs above and thanks for all the replys, I thought it would bring alot of attention and it was Hammond in the Noble that set me off again. lol

This is what forge list on there spring kit on ebay

Green** -*** 6-8 PSI
Yellow**-*** 10-12 PSI
Blue**** -*** 14-16 PSI
Red***** -****18-20 PSI
Please Note:
The quoted spring pressure (Psi) relates to the un-assisted clamping force of the spring and should NOT be taken as an equivalent to boost pressure when determining suitability. Once a valve is fitted to a car it is subjected to various pressures that act upon the diaphragm or piston to aid its respective ability to seal or hold boost. An example of this, would be when using a FMCL007P valve on a 1.8T engine as found in the TT 225hp. The boost pressure on a "chipped" car can peak at 26psi. The recommended spring would be the Green or Yellow

They`re rated higher than that in each colour for sure. Green is up to 14psi atleast. The yellow is more as Welly runs a yellow spring in his 400+ S3 lol.

well thats what it says in the text underneath.

The valve should in theory stay closed at 30psi even with the weakest spring fitted, as both sides of the valve are pressurised to the same level. One side is connected to the Inlet manifold and the other to the boost pipework. The reason for the stronger springs is to overcome transients. IE the fat pipe feeding the valve will typically reach 30psi much faster than the little vacuum hose, so the valve could pop open before things reach a steady state.

The Spring is there to help out, but as you make the spring stiffer the valve simply wont open at low boost pressures. So you could build up say 9psi of boost, lift off and it wouldnt dump, you'd just get some nice compressor stall. Clearly what you want is the softest spring possible, that will stop the valve opening at unwanted times, which is why they suggest a mapped TT making 26psi should be on a green or yellow.

I still do :lmfao:

haha, probably an iffy DV. i generally get the "TSSSSSSSSHHHH" but occasionally i get a flutter

Yeh, my new DV is basically silent in operation, i havent really heard it at all. The old one could be made to flutter quite readily, so i assume it was fubar.

My old dv was fubar and didnt hear it unless I was at high revs as the wastegate was totally fubar and only making 6psi of boost as it was rattling and causing gases to go past !!

When I removed it you could blow straight through the diaphragm on boost port side !!

I've ran it with one of them before with the knackerd turbo and replaced it for the 007p as thought it was fubar but it was the cause of the wastegate not closing flush to the turbine housing why boost was only 6psi. Wish I would of still had it now, as running the right boost :(

Don't forget a dump valve should only be actioned as you pass alongside another car, not before or after the drivers window..lol!

I have a Forge Splitr on my 1.8TQS. Yes there is something a little childish about having the noise and using it at certain points, like bus stops, schools etc but I thought what is the point in having a turbo if you can't hear it. It isn't too in your face like scoobys etc but is still nicely audible

I have a Forge Splitr on my 1.8TQS. Yes there is something a little childish about having the noise and using it at certain points, like bus stops, schools etc but I thought what is the point in having a turbo if you can't hear it. It isn't too in your face like scoobys etc but is still nicely audible

Nothing wrong, if you have a Turbo, flaunt it!!!! lol

Get some vids up thou!