Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    3rd Gear

Status

What alternator for AFBs?

Hi All,

I'm looking at changing the alternator on the wifes' 1999 2.5TDi B5 Avant Quattro with an AFB engine, and am struggling to find out what is the correct part.

As far as I can tell, there are 4 types, 2 Bosch and 2 Lucas, 90 and 120 Amps.

I'm assuming if I get a different amperage (I'd go for the higher one), as long as I use the the same manufacturer the part should fit, but what about if I get a Lucas instead of Bosch, or vice-versa?

Unfortunately I have had a look underneath (after removing her panzer plate) and cannot see any label or plate on it. Does anybody have any way of telling what is what? (and does it matter??)

I really don't want to have to remove it first, as time is limited and we need the car!
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine)
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    If there is a black connector plug then it's a Lucas/Valeo one, if just a spade connector then it's a Bosch. You cannot mix and match, if it's bosch it will need replacing with a bosch one and if a Valeo then with a Lucas/Valeo one. They are all 120 amps, never seen a 90 amps on a v6 tdi engine. You need to remove the front of the car as the bolts are fixed from the front and you'll need a 17mm hex key for the aux. belt tensioner- check this for play and rebuild if necessary.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

3rd Gear

Status
    The 2.5 Oracle has spoken

Thanks a lot,

I've got the Lucas one then, as there is a black connector with blue wires going into it, along with a separate feed to a ring terminal.
    I may or may not have to replace it, as I'm still looking into the intermittent electrical snags on her one. (DIS dead)

You wouldn't happen to have any radiator top hoses anywhere would you?
    1999 A4 B5 1.9 TDi FWD Saloon, Green
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon, 'Panzer' Plated (currently sporting wrecked engine)
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue, 'Panzer' Plated, Cruise Control retrofitted, OEM 6 Disc Changer retrofitted