What alternator for AFBs?

PAULF

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking at changing the alternator on the wifes' 1999 2.5TDi B5 Avant Quattro with an AFB engine, and am struggling to find out what is the correct part.

As far as I can tell, there are 4 types, 2 Bosch and 2 Lucas, 90 and 120 Amps.

I'm assuming if I get a different amperage (I'd go for the higher one), as long as I use the the same manufacturer the part should fit, but what about if I get a Lucas instead of Bosch, or vice-versa?

Unfortunately I have had a look underneath (after removing her panzer plate) and cannot see any label or plate on it. Does anybody have any way of telling what is what? (and does it matter??)

I really don't want to have to remove it first, as time is limited and we need the car!

If there is a black connector plug then it's a Lucas/Valeo one, if just a spade connector then it's a Bosch. You cannot mix and match, if it's bosch it will need replacing with a bosch one and if a Valeo then with a Lucas/Valeo one. They are all 120 amps, never seen a 90 amps on a v6 tdi engine. You need to remove the front of the car as the bolts are fixed from the front and you'll need a 17mm hex key for the aux. belt tensioner- check this for play and rebuild if necessary.

The 2.5 Oracle has spoken :superman:

Thanks a lot,

I've got the Lucas one then, as there is a black connector with blue wires going into it, along with a separate feed to a ring terminal.
I may or may not have to replace it, as I'm still looking into the intermittent electrical snags on her one. (DIS dead)

You wouldn't happen to have any radiator top hoses anywhere would you?