Help please erratic jumpy idle !

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Right just drove 12 miles home from work stopped off at Argos came out got in the car all was ok got to the lights pulled of and the car dramatically Held back I noticed that the boost gauge when on throttle was jumping full vac on part throttle.

I took it easy and if I seemed to hit any over 0 psi it would happen again heres a vid after I blip the throttle to 2k at the start it starts to jump all over the show and continues and can get it to stop by blipping the throttle would the cam tensioner cause this as its a little louder than normal as its at work as I've not had chance to do it !!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee485/bradderz_1988/44a36f9d.mp4

Forgot to add if I get it to do it the car revs up to around 1500rpm and bouncing down to 500rpm back to idle and then will rev up on its own a little, but then it can be fine again until I rev the car up of you need to see any logs at idle and when faulting I can do this and post up straight away, havent checked DTC's yet laptops on charge lol

Well this is what I have -

00561 *- mixture adaptation add exceeded limit intermittent

16487 - mass air flow sensor G70 signal too high (p0103- 35-10---intermittent.

Would I be able to disconnect it and the N75 to limp it to work tomorrow (note I have to go on motorway for 10-12 mile) ??

Well this is what I have -

00561 *- mixture adaptation add exceeded limit intermittent

16487 - mass air flow sensor G70 signal too high (p0103- 35-10---intermittent.

Would I be able to disconnect it and the N75 to limp it to work tomorrow (note I have to go on motorway for 10-12 mile) ??

00561 is that the engine is unable to add any more fuel past its conditional limits, and it can be a symptom of a bad MAF, so suspect its a symptom of the 16487 code. Think a new MAF may be in order. try unplugging and take it for a run see if it runs any better.

Other things that cause a 00561 are:
  • low fuel pressure (faulty FPR/vac leak)
  • Intake leaks
  • duff injectors (coked, blocked, electronically faulty)
Hope thats of some help matey.

I'm reckoning it's just throwing the 00561 due to the underlining problem, I may take the b roads to work and then get the boost leak tester on it at work check for any vac/boost leaks then order a MAF sensor if all checks out.

After reading over google a lot of people seam to have had similar issue that have lead to the maf but others say differant I shall see how I go is there any way that I can put the car in total limp mode to avoid any damage ie the car running lean etc

Well I got to work without it skipping a beat only really saw 5psi boost with my lightly applied foot pull up outside work and it start to bounce and rev/stall at idle switched the car off disconnected maf sensor and it's idling fine now so I presume the maf is fubar !!

Hopefully thats the culprit. just dont make my mistake, buy a genuine Bosch MAF. I went through 4 OEM standard ones in a month...

i had to drive 200 miles with no MAF just to get home, it will work fine at up to 3/4 throttle

I also was a bit confused why a reconditioned unit from VAG was better than a new Bosch unit but that is what everyone told me to get

Yes a new Bosch item will be being fitted I'm think will a vr6 sensor work with my car on the stock housing as I my buy a vr6 one and then I have the 3" housing to add to my parts collection ???

Mark found different airflow figures between the VR6 sensor and standard AJL sensor on his hybrid, so i'd say no, they're not the same.