hot engine problem , can anyone help please ????

Jonny_doe

Reaction score
hello all ,

I got a 1998 (r reg) 1.8 non turbo A4 ..

Just before christmas i had the cambelt go while my wife was driving the car , so i had to have the head skimed and the valves all sorted out , also all the valve uplifted have been replaced with new ones..
now while the engine is cold , it runs perfectly , but as soon as the engine gets hot , when you rev the engine up , or just pulling away , the engine starts rattling and power dies , i've got to take my foot off the gas , and reapply very slowly and it's ok ..
this is happening all the time , but only when the engines hot ..

does anyone know what might be causing this ??????

I have m8 , thats the problem he doesn't know 100% , he thinks it the cam chain tensioner , and says that it's £600 just for the part ....

It doesn't have a chain, does he really know what he's doing? The cam belt tensioner is only about £40 max. and this should have been changed when the work was carried out.

Get it to a specialest to check it then keep the bills if they charge you to find the problem.
Then take it back to the guy that did it and show him the print out of what ever proof they give you and tell him to fix it and also pay what it cost you to get it sorted.
As it is your right as a paying customer to a guarantee on anywork and up to so many days to decline anything that has been done and if you are unhappy he will have to return it to its previous form at his own cost. Or you take him to the small claims.
It sounds like he is trying to fob you off to take it some where else as he nolonger wants to fix it.
Don't be afraid to threaten his *** with a solicitor.