Control Arm Replacement?

MrJoshua

'98 A4 2.4 SE
Reaction score
Website
www.vehicledetailing.co.uk
Hi all

Just a couple of questions about replacing B5 A4 control arms...

I'm sick of having to keep replacing arms periodically, so am thinking of biting the bullet and doing them all at the same time.

I've found a complete set on eBay from a seller in Germany (cartech-one-1)... Has anyone used these before that could vouch for their quality? Also does this kit come with absolutely every bit needed to perform the transplant? If there's a better option (other than OEM from Audi), I'm all ears!

How long should a competent garage take to swap them all over (excluding allignment)?

Many thanks in advance...

Theres only two makes i'd touch, Meyle or Lemforder.

Buy ***** from ebay and you'll be changing them all again in 6 months time. Been there done that.

Meyle kits are available on german ebay which contain a full hardware kit with new nuts and bolts, these are the only ones i'd be looking at.

It took me a day, on the drive with a fairly comprehensive (but not to garage standard) tool set.

The upper pinch bolts are known for siezing, and if this happens it makes the job quite a pain in the ****. One of mine was siezed solid, and needed drilled out in the end. Was probably a good couple of hours messing with that one bolt.

I used a febi bilstein set on mine and all ok so far after 10k miles.

does anybody have any reviews of the ecp kit? I was speaking to the local branch and was told they do a full set for 250

If you end up getting a kit from meyle ask for the S4 TRE's instead of the standard ones that come with the kit.

If you buy decent quality parts they'll last the same 10 years that the original ones did.

A4 rod ends have a rubber isolator in the middle of them, which damps vibrations but reduces steering feel.
S4 ones dont, and are just solid metal.

I bought the cheap german ebay set and they lasted 3 months, groaning all the way. Don't know how the guy has the gaul to sell such crap. Total waste of money. It took me 2 days first time round (pinch bolt was a real pig on passenger side), 6 hours when I'd saved enough for the Meyle kit from allgermanparts. This set have been on a year now and 20k miles, not a squeak out of them. The tech write up on audiworld is a godsend.

They're advertised as Febi arms.

Ian above says he used Febi and they were fine.

Personally i've never used them, but baught a couple of Febi tie rods for the rear suspension and one of them had a huge casting defect which had clearly made it all the way thru their quality control and onto my doorstep. In the end i sent them back and ordered Meyle ones instead.

They're certainly going to be better than the chinese junk thats for certain.

Can anyone reccoment a german supplier of Meyle HD control arm kits ? Maybe one off german ebay ?

i wouldnt recommend the febi arms

replaced mine about 3 years ago on my avant and needed to replace 2 arms for last years mot
the car now feels very sloppy

by contrast my tqs is on original arms (cars covered 70k) and had its first arm failure this years mot and advise note the year before about drop links used lemforder to replace both as i figure 11 years 70k is a fair amount of time for them to last

You can get them from the crook that sells the cheapo ones on german ebay (autoteile or something), but I refused to give him any more of my money and bought them from allgerman