2.4 V6 CAM CHAIN TENSIONER

sirmarky

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I would get a new or better second hand cam chain tensioner from ?
I have seen on ebay pads that might fit , has anyone fit new pads before to the tensioner ?
The pad on the passenger side tensioner has completely dissapeared and a bit rattly as theres metal to metal contact :ermm:
thanks for any help
mark

If its so badly gone that its running metal to metal, i expect you need to replace the whole thing before you lunch the engine.

If its so badly gone that its running metal to metal, i expect you need to replace the whole thing before you lunch the engine.

its bad , havent taken it out yet though , i have found somone in the us selling guide pads that pop onto the original tensioner , im hoping i can still do this as im seeing prices online upwards of £200 !
would it be the same as the 1.8 petrol turbo one ?
just bought the car cheap so have a small buget to spend , but spending over £200 on it would make it nearly as much as i got the car for !!
can anyone help ?
thanks
mark

What i'm saying is that if its gone far enough that the chains running against metal, then the chains gonna be knackered.

The chain looks to be ok , its running on the alloy housing mainly ...
poss because the chain will be hardened steel ?
i will be stripping it down shortly , hopefully everything else is ok !

mark

not the same as the 1.8t one. the line that the camcover gaskets sits on is different.
buy a new unit and chain. do it right!

I will price it up with audi tomorrow , but im thinking in the region of £250
the car was only £245 with tax and mot !
just thought somone on here might have a scrap 2.4 engine with a good tensioner ?

mark

in my mind if you got the car cheap you can aford to spend some cash putting it right.

true , but if im going to throw hundreds at it then i may as well bought one for a few hundred more and save the work !!!
the engine was running fine apart from this , making a rattle ...
i struggle to justify spending in excess of £200 for a small part when i got the whole car for a little more , dont think it's worth spending too much on it too , done it before with cars and lost lots of money.

mark

Find someone breaking one on ebay if your convinced thats the way forwards. Personally i would never fit a second hand chain or timing belt. Tensioner, yes.

thanks everyone for your views , out of interest what sort of value would you put to my audi , a4 2.4 se 98 r reg , high mileage (175000)
has service history up to just over 100 k
mot untill july 2011

thanks,
mark

I recon a good A4, with MOT and suchlike, thats been looked after would go for 800 minimum.

A 2.4 V6 FWD is certainly further down the desirability list than the turbo cars, but i'd expect that even just throwing it on ebay you'd see 6-700 for it without too much hassle, and probably a little more if its clean and tidy and in the right location.

What you need to remember, is the running costs and maintenance of a car should never be compared solely against its price, you need to look at the whole picture. For instance, your car may be worth £700, and some might say a £500 repair bill wouldnt be worth it. But on the other hand, if the cars otherwise sound, that 500quid is likely to fix a lot of parts and give it many years more life.

The alternative would be to sell the car for peanuts due to the fact that its broken and put the small amount you raised from selling together with the 500 the repairs might have cost, and buy another car, however theres no guarantee that new car wont also land you a big repair bill, as people do often sell cars when they develop faults.

I had the same dilemma with my old FWD avant. It was on 200k, and the engine was half dead. I could fix the engine, or bin the car, but when i thaught it thru, i realised that since i'd owned it, i'd replaced all the suspension, all the brakes, tyres were all good etc, but all of these parts were unlikely to make any odds when selling the car as "spares or repair" with a knackered engine... The only part left that could really go wrong was the engine, as everything else was new. So i spent nearly 800quid all told, fitting a replacement engine, along with a new clutch, timing belt, water pump etc etc. I knew it was a lot of money to spend on an "old" car, but even if i'd sold it as it was there was no way i could buy another A4 for 800quid that was as good as mine.

As it turned out, about two months later i found a quattro, and sold the car to my parents, but i know that the cars mechanically sound, and that they're going to get a decent life out of the car before it costs them big money.

well im going to fix the car , not sure what route i will take as a new tensioner from audi would cost me £312 + vat !
im worried the other bank might fail sooner rather than later....
i have just replaced the broken cv joint this evening and even managed to do it without removing the top or bottom arms , so that went well.
got a rocker cover gasket on order , that wil arrive tomorrow as the old one came off in 5 peices !
going to put the car in my garage and strip the top end down over xmas , seen these on ebay audi 1.8 20v cylinder head timing chain tensioner pads on eBay (end time 11-Jan-11 02:18:30 GMT)
going to get a set to try , i know that these pads are identical to the ones i need...

mark

update :
stripped the top down the other day & the tensioner is in a bad way , managed to get one off ebay second hand for £50 posted , so thats not too bad...
it came on xmas eve ....
im back to work tomorrow and going to make a tensioner tool that will compress the pistons so that i can get it back in place.
hopefully after i have fitted it , all will be well !

mark

update :

fitted the new tensioner and built up the top end / refiited cams and belts....
run up the engine and was sweet untill it got to temp then an annoying rattle started again.
anyway , tonight i removed the sump , quite easy just needed to drop the anti roll bar.
in the middle of the sump was a pile of swarf and plastic from the old tensioner...
so a good clean out of the oil pick up and sump and refitted with new oil filter and oil then i run up and all is now fine.
so it looks like i was lucky to sort out this before i destroyed the engine !

mark

Yep thats a nice catch.

****** me off that these cars dont have a proper oil pressure light. The dash ignores the pressure switch at low RPM's

Don't they have a dual pressure switch for above and below 2000 rpm that gives better protection when driving due to the earlier warning or am I thinking of the VW version?

I went for a run in my audi today , first time I have been out in it since fitting the cam chain tensioner.
when I got back home (did about 4 miles) there was a bad oil leak dripping off the sump , the sump is not leaking , its running down from the front of the engine , around the stabiliser mount....
Its all dry around the top end and where i had been in replacing the tensioner , so that is good news.
im thinking it could be the crank oil seal , has anyone had this before on a 2.4 v6 ?
or is there a common failiure point around the front of the engine ?
any help would be greatly appreciated , although it looks like i will need the put the front end into the service position again !

mark