Tyre Choice

hop2407

Reaction score
Guys and gals - I know this has been asked before on this forum but not much response - I guess it's because everyone has their own opinion and it really is on how you drive. However.....
As I suspect most folk on here have a "twitchy" right foot, I feel I am asking the right people rather than Sundaydrivers.co.uk !!!!

I have just been to a local dealer to have laser tracking because I thought I had a problem - the tyres just wouldn't grip when the turbo kicks in (first and second gear mainly) and excessive wear on inner and outer edge of tyre.
I kept telling myself it's beacause of the damp roads, however to be on the safe side, I wanted the tracking checked.
Back to the point - Firstly, the front tyres are on the limit and the rear very close. Secondly, I'm having a remap done at the beginning of jan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and if I have this problem now, increased BHP and tourqe, certainly aint gonna help !
Price is not a major issue as I'm expecting to pay between £70 - £100 per tyre (cheaper if I have all 4 !) but grip is.
I currently have Conti's fitted, sport contact -rear, sport contact 2 - front). The fronts have lasted 18 months and I was told the reason for the inner and outer edge problem is because a sport tyre doesn't "give much" when cornering due to stiff wall and as such, wears the edges of the tyres quicker than middle. To compensate, increase tyre pressure ?
I have now been given a wide choice with the first recommended - Michelin (cant remember model), Conti's again (Sport contact 2), Goodyear Eagle/NCT, BFG, Yoko... the list goes on.

Look forward to your comments guys ('96 A4 1.8TS (FWD))

I've just put on 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's for £100 each including fitting.
Not yet run them in, so can't yet comment on any increase in grip.

Yes Goodyears all the way. Really good compromise between grip and wear.

Thanks Andy. I am now tempted to move from the contis which I thought I couldn't go wrong with (German engineering an' all that - Or am I one of the chimps that believes contis are german when in fact there probably made in some Sh!tty old English town and never been German /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Toyo's were my 2nd choice, I found more people went for the Eagles. And they were a few pounds cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ive got eagles on front and toyo on back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

toyo not run in so cant say, my brother got them fitted and said that they offer better rim protection?

[ QUOTE ]
HopA4TSport said:
Wow - I'm happy 3 out of 3 responses all point to the same choice. I was half expecting within a day or two of posting, to be in the same situation where I was still no clearer due to everyone suggesting a different tyre - clearly not the case (so far !)

Thanks guys.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, you guessed it, F1s here aswell. Great grip and don't tramline much either. Had Avon ZZ3s on the old Coupe, then changed to F1s on that and they were better still. Needless to say I've got F1s on the A4 now. I wouldn't buy anything else for the price.

Drew.

Thats why i wanted them because they have a huge rim protection bit round the edge the biggest i have seen.

[ QUOTE ]
Black S3 said:
I've just put on 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's for £100 each including fitting.
Not yet run them in, so can't yet comment on any increase in grip.

[/ QUOTE ]

That time is coming up for me soon to replace tyres but were did you get them from at that price and what size ??

The eagles have rim protection too or are you saying the toyo's have more?

I got my tyres from "Park Tyres" in trafford park, Manchester. A number of my family have been getting tyres from there for years. I rang up for a price and he got them in stock the next day. I paid £399 for 4, Harry said the price can change on a daily bases. Just don't get them cheaper than me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My car came with Pirelli P6000's but had to replace two so went from Goodyear F1's because my mate with an impreza recommended them.

But warned that they wear out quite quickly.

So i banged them on the front and they are far far superior!! The back comes out quite easily now!! Great fun but i will replace the rears shortly.

Another pretty good tyre is a Yoko A539.

I had then on my old 309GTI and were absolutely amazing in the dry and ok in the wet. Think the wet performance was down to the car being stiff as hell.

Well It certainly looks like my decision is made - F1's. It would be nice to get them on a BOGOF offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif !!!!
The garage I went to quoted £87.51 per tyre however I bet this is without VAT. I'll have to do some ringing round..... Thanks very much guys, most helpful.

[ QUOTE ]
Black S3 said:
The eagles have rim protection too or are you saying the toyo's have more?

I got my tyres from "Park Tyres" in trafford park, Manchester. A number of my family have been getting tyres from there for years. I rang up for a price and he got them in stock the next day. I paid £399 for 4, Harry said the price can change on a daily bases. Just don't get them cheaper than me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The toyo's that i saw had much more rim protection, can't remember what they were though.

Sorry for the late reply, just had 4x Eagle F1's put on this morning and from my short trip into work they seem spot on.. probably becuase I'm not sliding around anymore on baldies, but hey ho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I did a bit of research and it seemed that the top two choices were Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Eagle F1.. Eagles were £20 cheaper and were on special offer on www.blackcircles.co.uk (224 45 R17)

Previous tyres were P Zero Rossos..

Hope that helps..

Thanks for the response and yes it does help. I have already set the wheels in motion (no pun intended) to find the cheapest full set of F1's (you know the score - have a friend of a friend who has done some work for someone, or knows someone in the trade etc.). However at nearly 100 buff per tyre, I cant see me getting much of a deal anywhere !!

I just used black circles who were cheaper than mytyres.co.uk and you got a instant discount voucher to use with the first purchase...

excellent prices and very efficient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I looked at that, but the discount didn't count on special offers and the eagles were on special a few weeks ago.

Either way, good luck!