DBW/ME7 conversion

gmx

Reaction score
Anyone considering the conversion?

Considered. Didnt do it due to the amount of parts that need changing to suit and immo issues we have over here that they do not have in the US

If you have access to a scrap donor car it's prob worth it as its a whole car loom change or splice due to the can bus.

Bumping this old thread because i've been looking at it myself.

GMX: did you do anything about this?

I've had a good pore over the wiring diagrams, and as far as i can see, if you used an APU engine harness, with a suitable TT/A3 ECU, it would all just plug in.

You'd need to add the wires for the wideband lambda to the APU harness, do the VVT mod (resistor thing?) and depending on the ECU/your requirements, wire in the EGT sensor.

The APU harness looks to plug directly into the existing AJL wiring, and the can bus wont matter, as Byzan's already had a Canbus ECU from an A3 running in his A4 without any issues.

Anyone got any more info/experiences?

Im going to ask a stupid question. What is me7? Management from later/newer cars?

Yep. TT's and A3's from about 2001 onwards have ME7.5 management, which amongst other things has DBW, wideband lambda, EGT sensing and is flashable thru the OBD port.

Where can you get all the wiring diagrams? I'm still thinking about doing an s4 swap but not sure how the wiring on both are. I know s4 is DBW while my car is DBC. Just need to find out if the s4 engine loom will go onto my cars loom without being too much of a ball ache.

Get yourself a copy of ELSAWin, it has all the diagrams you need.

Your car currently has four plugs in the ECU box that interface with the car, DBW cars have 5, however the pinouts on the four you have match up perfectly with the pinouts on 4 of the DBW plugs (assuming the S4 loom is the same as the 1.8T stuff i've been looking at), and the extra plug just needs to be added for the throttle sensor and the brake and clutch switches.

You will need to swap out the throttle pedal, and the big alloy bracket that everything attaches to by the looks of it, to take the electronic pedal. Otherwise it looks pretty plug-and-play.

Yeah all that will have to get changed. Where do you get that from? Can you just download it? If it's not that much wiring that needs changed I would need to find out if the s4 ecu would work with my clocks etc by changing in vagcom or if it's an Audi job like swaping ecu in the TQS.

Depends on the year of the S4 primarily i'd imagine.

Your car has IMMO3, so you'll need the SKC either way to code the immo. Other option would be to get an immo emulator, or mod the ECU itself to disable it, either permenantly, or until you can get to Audi or someone else who can recode the immo properly.

ELSAWin usually pops up on ebay, or you can download it if your good at the internets.

Think s4 is a 98. Is the immo just in the ecu itself?

The immo is in the dash cluster.

It checks the keys and then tells the ECU that everythings OK and it can start (assuming the ECU is correctly paired up).

You can obviously modify the ECU so that it ignores the immo, and will start even if the immo tells it not to.

98 S4 ECU will be IMMO1 or IMMO2, these are generally easier to code (they dont require an SKC to unlock them), and you should simply need the SKC from your dash cluster.

So getting the immo disabled or whatever it is you can do with the s4 ecu it should work with my current cluster and keys? I may be able to get the cluster from the s4 as well just leaving my keys even.

S4 cluster wont fit your car. 2000> wiring harness is different.

You should be able to keep the immo fully functional, but you will need the SKC from your cluster.

Is it 2 plugs that go into the ecu itself and the other plugs go from the engine loom to the cars loom? I cant remember from when i had all that out.

Your car currently has four plugs in the ECU box that interface with the car, DBW cars have 5, however the pinouts on the four you have match up perfectly with the pinouts on 4 of the DBW plugs (assuming the S4 loom is the same as the 1.8T stuff i've been looking at), and the extra plug just needs to be added for the throttle sensor and the brake and clutch switches.

You will need to swap out the throttle pedal, and the big alloy bracket that everything attaches to by the looks of it, to take the electronic pedal. Otherwise it looks pretty plug-and-play.

This is excelelnt info! I'm currently considering an ME7.5 conversion, and it's good to hear that the 4 existing plugs are the same. I assume the loom from the throttle to the ECU is seperate to the main car loom?

I've potentially got access to a complete ME7.5 car to rob whatever I need, would the loom connections be different at the cluster from my 98 me3.8 A3 to a 2001 ME7.5 leon? I know the clocks will physically fit, but not sure about connection issues.

Is a full car loom swap going too far just to convert to ME7.5?