suspension or wheels?????

evzee

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls. Only been a member for a week or so. I've done nothing but search, read. Serach some more, read a bit more. I'm still pretty confused on some stuff. I aint got a clue what to do first. I'm raising some funds (around £250-£350) to do my first little mod to my audi. I bought it a few weeks ago. Its 99 2.4 v6. totally stock. Now, do I slap some wheels on it. Some nice 18 or 19's. That'll be it for a year til I can raise some more cash. Or is it gonna look daft? I might be able to get some alloy seconds and some lowering springs, but springs on stock shocks doesn't seem to be rated that much.....? Or do I get some coilovers and run stock alloys for year? I'm not really into hitting the audi on the deck. Maybe lose an inch or so. The standard sport look is enough for me. Input people, I need some more input. Your gonna have to talk to me like a kid, it took me blimming days to find out what billy b8's were! haha. Thanks

....and while I'm on a rant. Is it me or do we b5 owners get bum'd when it comes to getting parts? quite a few bits and pieces i've come across seem to be cheaper for b6 and a shed load more for b5. I found b6 coilovers from belgium £119, same ones for b5 add another hundred quid! same ****** part. Someone tell me b6 shocks and springs will fit our b5?

Last edited:
cheap coilovers for adjustable ride height and looks but teeth shattering ride
or shock/spring combo for lowered and decent ride/handling.

suspension and handling over wheels in my opinion.

Suspension first mate, transforms the car, I run AP coilovers which are a budget kit with good results, Will need to hike your budget a little though as they seem to go for about £450 at the moment

Personally, i'd do the suspension, but on that budget i wouldnt fit a shock/spring kit or coilovers.

I'd replace all the front arms (with good Meyle or Lemforder parts), the rear axle bushes and then fit some half decent 40mm lowering springs.

You can absolutely guarantee that will make the car feel and drive better than fitting coilovers or spending $£$£ on a shock and spring kit, becuase no matter how good the springs and dampers are, if the suspension links are flopping about under it all, its going to drive like a bag of crap. A mild 40mm drop will be fine on the standard dampers, and will at least give you some visual difference for your hard earned.

The biggest single change i made to our old FWD was changing the rear axle bushes. Cost £14, and the difference was so pronounced you could feel it from the passenger seat.

Meyle front arm kits are on german ebay for about £330, you'll get some generic 40mm lowering springs on ebay for about £60quid, and the rear bushes can be had from All German Parts for about £15.

[cough] polybush the lot [cough] ; )

Last edited:
The biggest single change i made to our old FWD was changing the rear axle bushes. Cost £14, and the difference was so pronounced you could feel it from the passenger seat.

Have to say I recently changed mine and the improvement was huge. Even the lady (who knows not much when it comes to cars) said it felt a lot more composed.

thanks to ALL you guys.suspension is clearly the way forward. I'm goin with aragorn on this one, it seems to suit my budget. I'll be ordering the parts this week. I know im gonna need spring compressors but is there any other tools or bits thst might not be in your average toolbox? I can get hold of trolley jack and axle stands. Will i need anything else for these new suspension arms and springs?

The front arms are bolt on. You will need a balljoint splitter for the lower arms though.

The pinch bolt on the top two arms is a known issue (it gets stuck/siezed). I'd get some plusgas and apply it to the bolt lots over the week or two before you do the work. The meyle kit i mentioned has all new bolts with it, which is useful.

The rear bushes are a bit trickier. I did mine using some threaded bar, and some tube, plus some metal plates to draw them out.

Hi, I fitted a Koni shock and spring package at the weekend, I fitted the fronts without removing any of the ball joints top or bottom, if you search on google there are instuctions available. If you have not done this before take your time and dont start Sunday morning if you need the car for work on Monday! The pinch bolt that holds the two top arms on is a ****** and you will spend a few hours trying to get this off.

I Fitted Koni Street shocks and springs, The shocks have lifetime cover and lowers the car by 35mm, rides well and not back breaking. not bad price either, half the price of coilovers. Would recomend these. I will post some before and after picks tomorrow when she is washed and waxed!

Suspension first, definitely. You could spend £3k on wheels but they would look **** at stock ride height. Whereas even standard wheels with a slight drop look the balls.

Hi, I fitted a Koni shock and spring package at the weekend, I fitted the fronts without removing any of the ball joints top or bottom, if you search on google there are instuctions available. If you have not done this before take your time and dont start Sunday morning if you need the car for work on Monday! The pinch bolt that holds the two top arms on is a ****** and you will spend a few hours trying to get this off.

I Fitted Koni Street shocks and springs, The shocks have lifetime cover and lowers the car by 35mm, rides well and not back breaking. not bad price either, half the price of coilovers. Would recomend these. I will post some before and after picks tomorrow when she is washed and waxed!

How much was the kit as i was looking at this and saw it on a forum for about £280 but i can't remember where and was worried about the ride quality, don't think it would lower mine much as it's a sport which i think is already 20mm lower

Euro performance dont list any Koni STRT kits for quattros, so it might not be available for your car at all...

the 2.4 was cheaper to insure by a mile. On paper there really isn't alot between any of the v6 models. I did myself a favour by not getting a turbo model. Theres way too many options and goodies for them. I'm family man, so i went with the "sensible" option. Hasn't stopped me from thinking of some serious plans for the future....... Biturbo 2.4......hmmm.......