Please help - Synchronising remote after changing battery

matthewr6097

Reaction score
I've posted on several other forums but no fix yet, perhaps one of you guys can help? A4 B6 2002 - I changed my battery in my remote but now it won't operate the central locking. I've tried the method in the manual which is press any button once and then unlock or lock the car but this hasn't worked. I've been onto Audi and they suggested a number of ways and basically said try them and see as if there's no one correct method of re-synchronising. Anyone out there got any ideas?

have u tried putting key in ignition, think u have to turn on ignition to position one, then press the lock or unlock button on the fob whilst its in the ignition.
turn of ignition shut door and try fob.
not sure if the ignition has to be on or not but key has to be in it. try on and off.

have you checked new battery is good ? shouldnt have to do anymore than above, only did mine two weeks ago.
do you have access to vagcom ?
do you have another key or just the one ?

have u tried putting key in ignition, think u have to turn on ignition to position one, then press the lock or unlock button on the fob whilst its in the ignition.
turn of ignition shut door and try fob.
not sure if the ignition has to be on or not but key has to be in it. try on and off.

This is the correct way of doing it, the bloke at my local audi parts department did this to get my remote working after i changed the battery a few days ago.

I changed the battery in both remotes - but did one at a time. After pressing any button, and unlocking the car, the key has to go in the ignition. I also started the engine. Then switched off, got out the car, closed the door, and the remote then worked OK.
As has been suggested, if it still doesn't work, it would point to something else being wrong - battery flat, or not fitted correctly?
Have you got a spare key/remote?

Just to confirm before I throw my (only) key in the bin, are we saying that when the key goes into the ignition you turn it to position one i.e the one before the ignition is actually on If that's the case then I have been doing it wrong

Also is it the combination of pressing the key once and unlocking the door, then the ignition thing or should one or the other work?

Last edited:
Just to confirm before I throw my (only) key in the bin, are we saying that when the key goes into the ignition you turn it to position one i.e the one before the ignition is actually on If that's the case then I have been doing it wrong

Also is it the combination of pressing the key once and unlocking the door, then the ignition thing or should one or the other work?

yes mate thats correct. to be honest your audi dealer should do it for free as its only a 30 second job

it does tell you in the manual but here goes...

1. Lock the car with the key.
2. Leave the car for 10 minutes to completely shutdown.
3. Press UNLOCK on the keyfob and then UNLOCK the car with the KEY.
4. Get in and start the car.

Job done, end of.

hi mark, good to here your keepin your chin up mukka.
you couldnt just nip outside and test your theory could ya lol sorry mukka had to lol

you had an offer yet mate ?

hi mark, good to here your keepin your chin up mukka.
you couldnt just nip outside and test your theory could ya lol sorry mukka had to lol

you had an offer yet mate ?

ouch...you b!tch lol ;)

yeah had an offer of a cheap red one, gotta wait a couple of days for it so keep your eyes peeled.......

;)

me too james, didnt sink in untill i realised who i was dealing with. lol sarky mark ! lol

PMSL...only joking kiddo...should be getting a firm offer for the cab tomorrow so fingers crossed...still no news from the zaf insurance yet :(

and as were in danger of hijacking someone elses thread (again!!!!).....matt, did this work???