Tow bar question

gaanrowl

Reaction score
hi can anyone reccomend a towbar possibly to fit myself, one that doesnt need to cut the bumper.
audi a4 1.9tdi se saloon 54reg

THIS is a horror story, with a happy ending HERE - I think he has sold the car now, but it might be worth a PM to the owner to see what make was used in the end.

cheers quattrojames, seems form reading that it will be a westfalia bar im after.

ive just admittedly had fitted for me a BRINK removeable towbar and euro 13pin electrics, the bumper hasn't been cut and the electrics fold up on a bracket and hide behind the bumper, very neet although not the cheapest option. you will however have to remove the rear bumper in order to fit a tow bar but thats standard accross the board, i can recomend the BRINK to you as very good and of course you dont get ''SHINNED'' with a removeable

can any of the removables be fitted to an S-Line?

any recommendations for some good fitters?

I have an Alko Audi one fitted, no cutting at all with a push away socket too, meaning unless you get under the car you wont know there's one there.

I have the bosal swan neck detachable .yes need an little bumper cut but you cant see it 12 v power fold in . Cant tell you have an towbar

I've got an S-Line Avant, and needed a towbar.

Ended up getting one from TowEquipe for a little over £125 (from memory) and fitted it myself. Took a day as whole rear of car needs to be gutted out to remove bumper. But if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Didn't bother with removable as am using it too often. Bumper cut was minimal (about 50mm x 35mm) from the very underside of the bumper. The cut is only visible if you lie on the ground behind car and look up.

Will attach a couple of photos if it helps.

Used one of TowEquipe's wiring kits that runs on a 12v feed (like an electronic multi-relay) and hasn't affected CANbus system at all.

Hope this helps.

I've got an S-Line Avant, and needed a towbar.

Ended up getting one from TowEquipe for a little over £125 (from memory) and fitted it myself. Took a day as whole rear of car needs to be gutted out to remove bumper. But if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Didn't bother with removable as am using it too often. Bumper cut was minimal (about 50mm x 35mm) from the very underside of the bumper. The cut is only visible if you lie on the ground behind car and look up.

Will attach a couple of photos if it helps.

Used one of TowEquipe's wiring kits that runs on a 12v feed (like an electronic multi-relay) and hasn't affected CANbus system at all.

Hope this helps.

Don't suppose you have a copy of the wiring diagram do you? i've got the same wiring kit but as i did not buy it from TowEquipe i can't access the pdf files.

@six speed did you get thew flange type or swan neck?
photo`s would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Hi.
I going to fit a detachable towbar from Westfalia to my A4 B6 Salloon (11/2003) but I am not sure what kind of wiring I need.
As I read in the net some people connect the wiring directly to the rear lights, others connected the wiring to the rear lights via a relay and others used a special wiring kit.
The towbar is the following:
(h++p://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/305206-audi-westfalia-detach-towbar-for-a4-sal-and-avant-0104kt.html)

Thank you for any advice.

you will need a smart relay to opperate the trailer lights without effecting the cars canbus circuit.

is it single or twin electrics or 13 pin your fitting

will find one of my old posts with the towbar wiring colours etc

its a ryder unit, which is what i use when fitting towbars

if you look at the unit itself it says which each colour is and where it needs to conect to

wire the unit behind the right hand lamp, run a wire to the left hand for the indicator and to the left hand sidelight

left hand indicator: grey/blue or green/blue (just check with test light L.E.D) this goes to yellow wire on the relay

right hand indicator: black/green this goes to the green wire on the relay

brake light: black/red this goes to the red wire on the relay

fog light: grey/white this goes to the blue wire on the relay

left side light: grey/black this goes to the black wire on the relay

right side light: grey/red (only wire left apart from brown, just test if its not grey/red) this goes to the brown wire on the relay

reverse: blue/red this goes to the grey wire on the relay*

* reverse is only used if fitting twin electrics or 13pin socket

if there is 2 grey wires on the relay 1 goes to reverse and the other goes to earth, doesnt mater which grey wire does what, if theres only 1 grey wire, it goes to the reverse light

white wire on the relay goes to earth (body)

youll also need to power the relay, i take a feed from the rear cig light as its rated at 30 amps, but fit an inline fuse, 15amp inbetween the relay and the cig lighter wire, the live is the red wire or red/white from memory, not brown. the live feed goes into any of the + ports (choice of 2)

the wires from the towing socket go into the relay ports which tell you which colour to put where, the white wire goes to earth (body).

Thank you scott b.
So I have to "steal" the signals from left/right lights and connect them to the relay.
Also I have to get power from fuses...

Hi.
I finished today the tow bar wiring with TEB7AS relay. I made these connections to my LHD car:

Left tail light:
blue/black: left indicator – yellow on relay
grey/black: left side light - black on relay
red/black: brake light - red on relay
grey/white: fog light - blue on relay

Right tail light:
green/black: right indicator - green on relay
grey/red: right side light - brown on relay

For earth the white on relay
For permanent live I used the fuse 33 (cigarette lighter) 15Amp at fuse box.

Everything is working well except the parking side lights on trailer. In case I enable the left or the right parking side light on trailer lights on both of them.
Is that OK?

Last edited: