Help with choosing 2.5TDi Quattro

cyberdude

Reaction score
Website
www.sunseaker.co.uk
I am looking for a 2001 2.5TDi quattro, either a multitronic or tiptronic gearbox and was wondering if there is anything I need to lookout for.
Is the Multitronic worth having or should I go for the tiptronic (manual is not an option)?
Any defects, major problems or recalls that I need to be aware of with this model?
Is the 2.5TDi worth having over the 1.9TDi?
What's the 2.5 TDi like in terms of reliability and longevity?

Up until not I have owned older (B4 and B5) petrol Audis.
I do mostly mixed motorway and town driving.

A salesman told me that the 2.5 isn't worth the extra money over the 1.9 130. They give worse MPG and aren't much quicker. Probably sound nicer though.

I may be wrong but I thought you could only get Tiptronic with the Quattro and Multitronic with the FWD cars.

Why not try a back to back test of a 1.9 vs 2.5 to see what you prefer.

You cannot get the multitronic gearbox with the quattro, only tiptronic.

You really need to try the 4 cylinder and the V6, they are completly different, I was looking for a multitronic 1.9tdi but my dealer only had the multi on the 2.5 v6 for me to try. I have had a 1.9tdi previously and after taking the V6 out I had to have one.

You must take both out, if I were to do it again then I would go for a 2.5tdi quattro Tiptronic, I have the 2.5tdi multi FWD.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that the multi is not available in quattro. I wonder why? I guess I'll have to go for the tip then. I am fairly convinced that I prefer the 2.5TDi but will try both to make sure.

Any comments on the reliability of this engine and it's maintenance costs.

Haven't heard any horror stories about the 2.5. It will be more expensive to service but not sure how much more.

I'm pretty sure that the 1.9TDI Quattro can only be had with a manual box in which case you'll be wanting a 2.5

Hi, I own a 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro (2001) and I have to say that if you driven a 1.9TDI and then get into a 2.5TDI you will certainly know the difference and for the sake of 5mpg you will definateley choose the V6, the V6 is 180ish BHP and you feel that, especially from start and it still does 40-50mpg and it worked out cheaper to insure than a 1.8 Mondeo (previous car) I hired a 1.9TDI Avant and I was impressed but the 2.5 puts a smile on your face.plus every other A4 on the road is a 1.9TDI.

oh and as for servicing im not sure but ive only got about 400miles to go before its service so once i know ill post it.

I have an A6 2.5tdi 2wd. The best I ever got was just over 50mpg (during the fuel crisis) driving like a grandad. Expect just under 40mpg normally. However, my new 2.5tdi has sports package and is currently getting ~36mpg but is running on ridiculous 235/35/17 tyres (with only 160bhp).

I also have a 1.9tdi Seat Ibiza and that is easy to get 50mpg+. The engine isn't as smooth, but there isn't that difference (enough for me to choose the 2.5 again though). If I was doing more miles though I would buy the 1.9 because the fuel consumption is just so good.

Just spent this weekend test driving both a 130 and a 2.5. Have now put a deposit on a 2001 2.5 Tdi Q avant sport. Drives much much faster than the former.....right fun!! Cant wait to pick it up in 10 days. Seems as powerful and as quick as my two Vr6s i had a few years ago!