Twin coolers or large front mount

TorqueTerrorist

www.sprayplan.co.uk
Reaction score
Website
www.sprayplan.co.uk
Even though I have a B7 I find this forum much more use, don't think you guys are as stuck up to be honest...
Anyway, I have twin side mount intercoolers(standard) and have noticed they have no way of air passing through them due to location etc. I could gaf vents into inside the wheel arches or install a front mount.

The question is would I gain a massive difference have a front mount over a mod to the air flow of the standard set up??

I'd be interested to know about this. I have the 190 with "twintercooler" setup and have wondered for quite a while if a beefy front mount would be any better?

Then, if it would be beneficial to ditch the two small intercoolers for one big one, what sort of major issues would arise in the installation?

Cheers.

i would say you wouldnt notice it until you start tweaking your engine lads, if your running standard power the twin coolers will cope no drama whatsoever, thats what they're set up for so they wont let you down unless they split, and all chargecoolers can do that!! so if your not wanting to pull up any trees with engine mods then i'd save your money and stick with stock. just dont let juss read me type that!!

I have a mate who builds cosworth engines who REALLY wants me to do some serious engine mods, or at least... let HIM do some serious engine mods for me.

We've decided that as I live pretty close to work, I could do without my car for a week while I let him work on it. But I've never gone this far with mods before and have no idea where to start. What to get, where to source parts... I'm clueless.

I would quite happily go absolutely mental with this car. As far as I know this 1.8T is brilliant and there are lots of options for modification, but I've got no idea where to start and there's just a few cosmetic thing I want to get sorted first.

well if your even considering going large with it mate then i'd advise a nice deep fmic. and if your mate isnt too busy and has any bits left over i'd be happy to get involved with them!! i'm in desperate need of more power, but also an fmic thats capable of bigger power than stock, the stocks can easily handle 230+ but by the sounds of it you'll be looking at abit more than that if your friend has anything to do with it!!

Well that's the thing, there won't be any bits left over as I'd have to buy whatever is required and he would just do the work (as long as I let him have a go once he's finished).

My problem is I don't even know where to start. I might have a word with TTS motorsport and see what they suggest. I know I will want a remap at some stage, but I know I should only do that after all other mods are done. So really I just need a plan of action I can work towards.

Well that's the thing, there won't be any bits left over as I'd have to buy whatever is required and he would just do the work (as long as I let him have a go once he's finished).

My problem is I don't even know where to start. I might have a word with TTS motorsport and see what they suggest. I know I will want a remap at some stage, but I know I should only do that after all other mods are done. So really I just need a plan of action I can work towards.

Call Jabbasport. The are the top tuner for the 1.8T. When I got some bits done they had a 450bhp A3 quattro. Mental car!! What the don't know isn't worth knowing. Nicest guys ever too!! They are based in crowland just outside of Peterborough. I live far away from them and will only let them touch my car. Their knowledge is unrivaled

Last edited:
Cheers Torque. Peterborough isn't too far from me either, I'll be needing my belt and water pump done in December so I may try them out and ask them some questions.

After the service the next job is all the stuff I outlined in that PM. Hopefully you can help me out. Once the cosmetics are done I'll be back on to my quest for more power in the new year.

Is a sub-6 second 0-60 a realistic new years resolution I wonder? lol

Howdy got it, The twin intercoolers are soooo much better than our 163's. It'll handle typical upgrades easy but like he says, if you going for Big power then a Nice shiney FMIC is needed for the Job else you just aint going to get the best out of it!!!

You a lucky git Smooth - think you should Borrow my ride for a while, let him experiment on mine first :respekt:...

well you dont need me to start wafflin on again about how or where to start, you all know im stick you right in the Deep end..:)

oh and yes Jabba are **** hot, have a Golf mate who had stacks done to his Mk3 - Turbo conversion etc and they made the thing fly. Cant remember if it was a main guy called Andy who did all the work, it was few yrs back though but yes, most def recommend them if you dont mind spending that little extra!!

FMIC every time.
There's so much more area involved to pass through, making it much more efficient, than SMICs.

Larger SMICs are the better/easier upgrade for my car, but a larger/additional FMIC gives the better gains.

As mentioned you also need to think about airflow to and around the IC. Maybe even drilling of holes in the bumpers. Some guys I know have pressed the numbers/letters out of their number plates, with the section of bumper behind it removed? There's always air passing through the number plate then, and when you want to track the car or put it on rollers, you simply take the plate off altogether for even more airflow.

Simples...

Also start thinking about water or methanol mix injection. All of which lower the Air Intake Temperatures further which increase bhp/performance.

Check out Devil's Own website for details.

:icon_thumright: :hubbahubba:

oh and yes Jabba are **** hot, have a Golf mate who had stacks done to his Mk3 - Turbo conversion etc and they made the thing fly. Cant remember if it was a main guy called Andy who did all the work, it was few yrs back though but yes, most def recommend them if you dont mind spending that little extra!!

To be honest I didn't find them expensive. Even things like cam belts/ servicing etc seem resonable! Andy was there when I went, nice guys

I've seen on another forum that they graft a vent into the splash shield behind the intercoolers to allow air to flow. I may do this for now. I have a front mount sitting but haven't got time right now to do a proper job of it so I'll wait till new year.