Buying decisions....please help the s battle

blanc

Reaction score
Hi All

I have am looking to buy either a 00 s6 2.7, a 2002 s3 or pushing the boat out a 2003 s4 4.2. I do approx 20k with about 15k city miles out of the above what would people choose? The S4 might be a step too far but I thinkk the s6 is in on budget.

All help appreciated.

The C5 chassis S6 is a 4.2 V8, they did a 2.7T in the A6, but not the S6. The older S4's were at 2.7T.. Around town you would probably see 12-15mpg from a 4.2. I would get the S3 as they will do 35mpg on a run and won't be that bad in town either..

Thats a wide selection there mate.
You haven't said whether you have a family or not, what other stuff you will be using it for?
My and the wife had an S3 before our B6 S4. We changed it cause at the time we were going to try for kids and we also had family to take out once in a while, no good in the 3 door s3. We chose the B6 cause it was a little bigger in size, more modern and faster.
The s3 felt a little faster than the s4 due to the power delivery but believe me the s4 does ****** shift and the engine is stunning.
The s6 is a pretty big car so you have to think if your going to have enough space at your work to park.
Petrol wise the s3 will win hands down, we used to get around 23-25mpg around town, in the s4 around 17mpg. You can get the s4 upto 30mpg on a long run though!!

Where are you based mate? I will be looking into selling my s4 in a couple of months for an rs6 so you can always pop round and have a look at the size of the s4.

Dunc

Thanks lads

I am based in Dublin, Ireland. I have a two year old and will be using the car for both work (meetings) and for home. If I could average 20mpg in an s4 for my type of driving id be happy, thats all I get in my 525 at the mo which is an auto. What are servicing costs like with the s4?

For what it's worth I have a 4.2 S4 and average around 23-24mpg on a tank of mixed driving.
I use Shell V-Power which I believe makes the mileage a bit better. Best I've had so far was 28.5mpg on a long run, but I've heard others have got better, and that was on my first ever tank of V-Power, before the ECU had a chance to adapt to the higher octane petrol (I think).

Was about the car tax down south? Its like 1500 yoyo a year for a 4.2.. that would sway me towards an 1.8T.. BTW I sold my S6 to a fella in Dublin.. You are getting a serious good deal with the Euro at the minute even with VRT.. Get an S6, 1/2 the price

Yeah the tax would be above €1500, with the S3 €580 ish.

Blanc have you registered on vagdrivers.net yet? It;s an irish forum and I know there are at least two irish reg'd S4 for sale there and one S3.