Fitting Induction Kit?

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
Hi

Please could someone tell me what the thick plastic pipe at the front of the airbox does?

I have removed the box to fit an induction filter to try out and noticed this breather looking pipe. Do I need to conect it to the new induction filter of can I put a small filter on it and forget about it?

Also when you start the car it sounds like it is blowing air through the airbox? Is this that pipe and if so whats it do?

Many Thanks
Andy

thats the inlet to the auxiliary air pump (SAI) that preheats the cat during warm up. It sucks air into that tube so will need a filter or the airpump will soon die from grit in the pump :(

That clears that up Thanks.

Can you remove the pipe and replace it with some rubber or silicon? JUst so I can nip it up against the small filter? The plastic end will be impossible to attach any filter without looking rubbish?

Or is there a proper small filter you can buy that will clip into the plastic end?

yeah thats a problem mate, you can get a small filter and cut the weird tip off the inlet of the tube so the filter and jubilee clip can slip over the end, or maybe as you say, swap the tube. (the tube is of no consequence except that it supplies air to the pump so any silicon tube would do just as well I guess)

Ive got a baby's sock tie-wrapped over the end of mine LOL

I thought about that, the only problem is the inevitable DTC for the SAI pump insufficient flow, maybe there's a workaround for that cos the SAI bugs me too, its really loud when the car is cold and makes it sound crap. I know it doesnt do anything that would fail mot time etc, it only warms the cat by blowing air up its butt to preheat the honeycomb quicker so I would happily pull the fuse out for it.

Might try that later :eyebrows:

Only engine i've ever dealt with that had it was a Vauxhall 2.0 16v Ecotec i was installing in my brothers old nova. Luckily the Vauxhall ecu just detected wether the SAI relay was present and working or not, so i left the relay fitted and just didnt attach the pump to the other end of it, and the ECU was perfectly happy

Nice thinking!

Just been to Halfords and they want £20 for a tiny filter. SO think I will go down the baby sock route like you for now:) then try and get a proper filter.

Thanks for clearing it all up for me.

Andy

The jobs a good one!

I put my white sports sock on the end. The filter sounds lovely. Just need to make a bracket at some point to fix it and prevent it from getting damaged.

Andy