18" alloys vs 19" alloys

mrjheeta

Reaction score
hi all,
i currently have 19" alloys on my a4, with 45mm lowered suspension on stiff shocks. even with the shocks, i cant really have anybody heavy sitting in the car with me, or sit anybody in the back as the rear wheels with start rubbing on the arch. if i change the alloys to 18" will this make any difference? i would like to be able to sit people in the back of the car at times (although most of the time its just me). will it sit slightly higher than it is now or will it still be low? right now the tyres are about 3-4 mm below the arch.
thanks for your help!

Im debating 18" myself. I see 19's been to much hassle. Not enough clearance etc.
I not an expert but would think if you increase the size of your wheels then it has to get closer to the arch unless the overall tyre and wheel size combined remains the same size as your tyres and wheels. The only way to do this is by putting ultra low profiles on. If you keep the same size tyre as what you have and increase the wheel size by an ince I see you catching more.

Andy

I've got 19's with standard sport suspension and have no problems but guess this is abit of topic with you been 45mm lower

How about just fitting some 30mm springs?

i thought about that but then i have to go to all the trouble of buying new brings getting them fitted etc and costs are just too much. i was planning on upgrading the alloys anyway (one oft he things ive wanted to do for a long long time) so i dont really fancy spending money on both things, i dont mind downgrading to 18s (if u can call it downgrading?) just wondering how it will sit or how it will look compared to how it is now. has anybody done this before? i can only imagine that 18s will ride a lot better, i can feel each n every bump in the road right now, getting a bit car sick lol

hi everyone
if it is just rubbing on the outer arch , you could always adjust the rear camber over a tad a bit of try'll or error really .u won't be able to put it over to much otherwise you will scrub the inside of the tyres . plus you may want to try removing the rear arch sheilds as well .

thanks worpspeed, i wouldnt know where to start to adjust the camber to be honest with you... if i get it wrong, how much of a job is it to sort out?

it's easy enough .
the worst bit is freeing them up because they are normally seized .
and if you get it wrong u just need a geo check done . the bolts to adjust the the rear camber are right at the top of the hub behind the wheel,
these are bolts with oval cams in them so as you turn the bolt it can take the camber in or out .
i hope this help

thanks scott

thanks mate, you dont happen to have a picture of the camber bolts? if i take a pic of the area tomorrow with the wheel off you couldnt point me in the right direction could you?

ive had 19,s on mine for 18 months with no probs at all

when im in the car myself its ok, but as soon as there are 3 or more ppl in there, it starts rubbing... thats why i was thinking of sticking some 18s on it.

even with 18,s on the rolling diameter of the wheel will be the same so you,ll still get rubbing when loaded

Even with 18s you will probably get rubbing as you have to put bigger side wall tyres on with 18s as you need to keep the overall rolling radius of the tyre withing about 2.5% (rough guide) of the original size. This is so you do not throw your speedo out too much.
What size tyres are you running and what size and offset are the wheels. You might just be running the wrong combination. Also, when it rubs is it on the inside or the outside of the tyre?
Give me some more info and I will help you out.

hi john, they are 235/35/19s currently and they are rubbing on the outside of the tyre on the arch... before i had my shocks fitted it burned some of the paint off the arch when my old man was in the back lol! and as for the offset, im not to sure as they were on the car when i bought it.

hi, they are kahn rsc 2 piece

KahnRSC2pc.jpg

From the fitment info i have from Kahn, the RS-C 2 pc 19x8.5 are only available in ET31 which is too low and that is why you are getting rubbing. You really need ET35 which will give you 4mm more clearance at the outer arch.

If you want to get some wheels with the right fitment let me know as we will have quite a bit that will fit. If you got ET35 you could still run the 235/35/19 tyres. We actually have a set of 19x8.5 ET35 wheels on offer at the moment, check them out here.

I hope this helps.

thanks mate, i appreciate that.
to be honest, not a big fan of those wheels, i want something simple, 5 or 6 spoke maximum but nothing like what i have now. ill take a look on your site and let you know.

Another option would be a set of Vemiris that came off my car. They are 19x8, but are ET50 as I have an A3 8P. You would need to run a 15mm spacer, but I could supply you with some proper hub centric ones. These wheels are in perfect condition except one rim has been kerbed slightly. You can get replacement rims for about £70 from Vemiri though.
You could have the set for £640 including a set of H&R spacers with new bolts. The RRP on these is about £1200 without the spacers.
If you see anything else on the web site let me know and I will do you a good price.

peralae19s1si2.jpg

a3vemiriperalaewebpicah9.jpg

hi, thanks for that, but i think they look too much like the ones i have now. ill have a look on your site when ive got a bit more time, most likely on the weekend, seems like u have a very good selection!

Yeah they do look similar dont they!

Heres just some I looked at these for mine...
35bf_1.jpg

3Spoke.jpg
How they get in there :faint:,hahahaha

r8.jpg

tsw-nogaro-silver.jpg

those tsw's are awesome! but i'd have to go with the second ones i reckon... :D
what size are the ones u have now j7uss?

Them 3 spokes are bbbaaaaaadddddd eh!!:lmfao:
The Tsw's were a choice of mine but again, ****** expensive at the wrong time.

Mine are 19's mate!

yeah thats the problem, prices for everything are way too high still...
why do you want to change yours? they are probably the best alloys i've seen in a long long time! the only other ones i've liked are the merc amg ones, but paying over a grand for second hand ones isn't justifiable!

yeah thats the problem, prices for everything are way too high still...
why do you want to change yours? they are probably the best alloys i've seen in a long long time! the only other ones i've liked are the merc amg ones, but paying over a grand for second hand ones isn't justifiable!

I wasnt planning on changing but ive started to see more of my alloys on A3's/golfs around the midlands so thought Id keep an eye out for a change.Aint in no rush though.
The Merc ones are nice but its like you say, its alot of money. If you got the cash laying around then yeah id invest.

Mine cost me £550 with Bolts/locking Nuts and Shiney valves...which I didnt bother with.

if u ever want to sell your J7USS let me know, im in london n aint seen them anywhere before lol!

good stuff, well let me know if you do get your new set i'll take yours off you.

lol lets just hope J7USS gets a new set then ill be a happy man!

Come on Lads, dont put pressure on me!;)

Auction has 3 days left and the seller aint up for ending early :beee:!!Wheres his Xmas spirit..

lol some people hey! are the new ones much different?

....If I dont win them, you'll see....
If I win them, you'll see.....on my car Next week!:)

lol good stuff, and hopefully you'll see your alloys on my car! hahaha