JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494

    when mileage gets high - should one sell?

    My A4 has full audi service history, ALL the right toys and bar a thermostat has never gone wrong..

    However, the mileage is now approaching 88k and although I think she has many more trouble free miles in her - the value drops off massively after the clock turns 100k.. So should I sell it soon and maximize my return to put towards another car with less miles, or, enjoy the trouble free running of a car I very much like for another couple of years?

    However, in 2-years from now the car will have approx 110k miles on the clock and only be worth maybe 3k. I know all cars depreciate - but the biggest hit is usually taken by the owner who carries the car over 100k..

    Or, should I just stop worrying and keep driving a good, reliable, car?
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,654
    Stop worrying. If you like the car and it's been reliable then keep it. In this market everything is worth jack at the mo.......
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options

  4. #3
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiSport View Post
    However, in 2-years from now the car will have approx 110k miles on the clock and only be worth maybe 3k. I know all cars depreciate - but the biggest hit is usually taken by the owner who carries the car over 100k..
    That's simply not true. The biggest hit is taken by the person who bought it new in the first place.

    The depreciation you're seeing has probably leveled off into a steady decline unlike the immediate 10% (or more) drop that you see when you drive a new car off the forecourt.

    Properly maintained, there's no reason why your car won't see 200k+ with no major issues. It's just whether or not you're happy to have an older car than some of your neighbours!

  5. #4
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    Absolutely, took the words out of my mouth.
    I'd rather buy a car with 100k on it than 79k with big 80k service looming.
    this urban myth about 100k is a throwback to the 70's when cars only went up to 99,999. Slightly different these days......
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

  6. #5
    J7USS's Avatar
    Shuddup Foooool!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    LEICESTER
    Posts
    3,671
    Yeah Keep it, dont fix it if it aint broke!! You'll get rid and end up buying something that will give you ballache.
    There is nothing wrong with your motor.
    Mine is On 112k (88k on the 2nd engine) and it doesnt bother me in the slightest!

  7. #6
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494
    thanks for the posts lads!

    I've been doing a few little mods here and there like colour coding the bumpers and adding some s-line bits - and was thinking about a remap and some bigger alloys.. But thought I had better decide if I'm going to keep the car before I blow more money!

    I bought the car for 5600 last year. The guy before more paid 24,000 for it from Audi.. It was an x-demo hence some nice extras like Boss and leather.. And, as you say, he took the biggest hit!
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  8. #7
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    15,350
    Our B5 is on 173k and still going just fine.

    There ARE things that can require attention on a higher mileage car, such as the front suspension arms, turbo, oil pump etc but i would imagine if you look at the total cost of ownership, selling your current car (at a loss) and buying another with lower miles (after adding money to what you got from your current car), added to the fact that things could just as easily fail on the new car, it probably makes more financial sense to keep your existing car, and make any repairs that may be needed as you go along. Especially if you have and want to continue putting money into modding it.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494
    Well, I've decided to sell the car. I think I was just trying to find reasons why I should do so - however the reality is I just fancy a change! I'm sure you will all have something to say about this, but I fancy a BMW 330ci..

    As stated above the only problem I ever had was the Thermostat broke. The car has full Audi main dealer history from new, four recent new tyres and I have just had the Cam-belt and Water pump changed.

    The car is an ex Audi demonstrator so has loads of extras like Full Black Leather, Heated Seats, BOSE sound system, Front loader Multi-CD changer, On-board computer, Fish scale Ali dash inserts, Arm rest etc etc..

    I've added a few S-line extras however, the project will have to be completed by someone else..

    CLASSIFIEDS LINK:
    http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/sh...p?product=2791






    Last edited by AudiSport; 14th December 2008 at 10:42.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  10. #9
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,856

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Nice car, I am not looking to buy but ask purely out of interest, how much do you want for it?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  11. #10
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494
    I've advertised it today for 5990.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  12. #11
    MattS3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Norfolk
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiSport View Post
    I've advertised it today for 5990.

    But is that not 400 more than you paid for it last year, and we're now in a rapidly slowing market? (I'm only reading what you've written in the previous posts)
    2011 S3 Sportback S-tronic Black Edition - Revo stage 1
    2006 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport - For track days and sunny days.
    2003 S4 V8 Saloon Manual Milltek Cat Back - Sold

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494
    Yeah I did pay 5600 for the car last year, however I have since spent;

    Approx figures:
    Door blades 150
    Colour coding 150
    17'' Alloys 220
    New tyres 250
    Cam-belt and Water pump 200

    So nearly 1000 and that doesn't even include the Thermostat which I consider maintenance rather than improvements. I'm sure all of the above maybe things most B6 A4 owners will be looking to do bar a change of taste for things like alloys etc. However, you are right - the market has changed.. And the time of year is against me! I'm in no rush though.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  14. #13
    jdp1962's Avatar
    Grumpy Old Man

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cruising on a mountain of torque
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiSport View Post
    Yeah I did pay 5600 for the car last year, however I have since spent;

    Approx figures:
    Door blades 150
    Colour coding 150
    17'' Alloys 220
    New tyres 250
    Cam-belt and Water pump 200

    So nearly 1000 and that doesn't even include the Thermostat which I consider maintenance rather than improvements. I'm sure all of the above maybe things most B6 A4 owners will be looking to do bar a change of taste for things like alloys etc. However, you are right - the market has changed.. And the time of year is against me! I'm in no rush though.
    Most of these items, whilst very nice to have, won't necessarily add anything to the market value of the car. Best they'll do is make it more saleable at the market value.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals


  15. #14
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Most of these items, whilst very nice to have, won't necessarily add anything to the market value of the car. Best they'll do is make it more saleable at the market value.
    In other words - more desirable = more perceived value.

    Does a black car have a greater (on paper) market value then a yellow car? No, but it will sell for more because it has a great target audience. So, more perceived value. Basic rule of supply upon demand.

    As my car was the only one for sale within it's price bracket with leather seats, colourcoded bumpers and S-line extras there was a greater demand for it. Needless to say it sold for the full asking price to the first person who viewed the car.
    Last edited by AudiSport; 11th January 2009 at 11:58.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  16. #15
    RGC
    RGC's Avatar
    I void warranties"!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NORTH EAST UK
    Posts
    148
    That was a nice car it must hurt to see it go

    may i ask was it a Audi-sport forum member who bought your car or did you also have it advised privately?

    Rich

  17. #16
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,856

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiSport View Post
    Does a yellow car have a greater (on paper) market value then a black car? No, but it will sell for more because it has a greater tarket audience. So, more perceived value. Basic rule of supply upon demand.
    Have I read that correctly?

    Would a yellow car really sell for more than a black one?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  18. #17
    russgt's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Have I read that correctly?

    Would a yellow car really sell for more than a black one?

    Hmmm I had to read that twice
    B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport Avant

  19. #18
    dieselfitter251's Avatar
    Blow ma own trumpet?

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    High 'C's
    Posts
    1,130
    Me two, it was posted twice!

    I'd still buy Black before Yellow. Tar spots are easier to hide ;O)
    Ford Mondeo 2.0i Durtec Ghia X Estate
    Leather / Dog Hair.



    Dieselfitter 251
    A4 avant '97 1.9tdi q
    a.k.a. STINKY
    [B]250k!
    ..she's gooooonnnne!!!!

  20. #19
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC View Post
    That was a nice car it must hurt to see it go

    may i ask was it a Audi-sport forum member who bought your car or did you also have it advised privately?

    Rich
    The chap saw the ad in Autotrader and as far as I know isn't a member. It really was a real shame to see it go - I really enjoyed driving it and it looked fantastic. However, I just fancied a complete change. I was thinking about buying a 330 coupe but couldn't bring myself to buy anything other than an audi! So, what with our wedding in august I thought 'I have the rest of my life to drive round in a four door saloon' and I just fancied something a bit smaller, nippier and completely impractical.. So I bought this for 100 less than I sold the A4 for! 72k miles, full service history and it came serviced/taxed from a garage with a warranty! Yeah yeah I know it's a girls car - but I know myself and the mrs will have a good laugh in it this summer! Bloody quick too - and it will have 280bhp soon!


    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  21. #20
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Have I read that correctly?

    Would a yellow car really sell for more than a black one?
    sorry, now corrected! Yellow cars are harder to sell!
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  22. #21
    henry74's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Verwood, Dorset
    Posts
    115
    Unless it's a small Fiat!!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO