Glass Marble Headlights???

ScottyP45

Reaction score
Whats the type of lamp in the headlamps thats got a glass ball front like a cats eye? My normal (dip) beams are such a type but theres no mention in the handbook of what they are, xenon, halogen etc, anyone know?

I think they are pretty cool and better than the angel eye types. Only noticed them the other night cos I hadnt stood in front of the car wi the lights on yet, and assumed the bigger reflectors in the centre were the main lights, but the glass ball ones are the mains and the others are the high beams and sidelight combined. Don't you think they look like cats eyes when lit?

:rockwoot:cheers!

projector scots when people say a car has projector headlights thats refering to the glass ball you are talking about. its just a lens in front of a bulb really.

Ah, cheers. Feel a bit of a nugget askin that but hey, if it doesnt say on the tin.....lol

Yep, the projector lens is what you're referring to. The lens provides a sharp and defined cut off point, whereas the regular reflector type scatters light everywhere.

Most manufacturers have stopped manufacturing projector type lens' in non xenon lights now. I'd get a set of xenons if I were you, the difference they make is unbelievable, especially as I thought the standard halogens were *****.

Yep, the projector lens is what you're referring to. The lens provides a sharp and defined cut off point, whereas the regular reflector type scatters light everywhere.

Most manufacturers have stopped manufacturing projector type lens' in non xenon lights now. I'd get a set of xenons if I were you, the difference they make is unbelievable, especially as I thought the standard halogens were *****.

Cheers mate, can you just change the bulbs for xenons?

Cheers mate, can you just change the bulbs for xenons?

Yes and no, yes if you just fit an aftermarket HID kit. The legality and quality can be questionable. No if you want proper OEM Audi Xenons, you'll need to change the complete headlights and do some re-wiring.

*cough* I have some genuine S4 xenon headlights for sale *cough*

You do not have to do any re-wiring if you fit factory Xenons, the S4 cabriolet ones I have sent straight on the car with the same looms and have not had any problems with bulbs failure etc and I have not VAGCOMed the car either to tell it that it has Xenons.

Going to be taking apart my headlamps to have the inners colour coded to the car in the next few weeks