Badger5EM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

HIGH HIGH Fuel consumption but-

A4 Avant 115bhp 52 reg 115K on the clock on trip computer on Emc shows as 38.5! mpg I am lucky if I get 200m out of Ł20 diesel according to parkers it should be in the region of 48mpg. Just yesterday I had the timing belt water pump and tensioners and full service done inc doors lubricated suspension and exhaust also checked. Surely this should rise the Emc was fully checked at the VAG garage it was in and the mechanic said that it was mechanicaly one of the best cars he had worked on no problems reported via the Vagcom.

So what else or should I say were the heck is my fuel going.... anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing it or is it one of those VAG mysteries where I will never find the answer?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    there is a few people on ere saying they arnt gettin good mpg from the tdi,s how are you driving it ? i would b happy with 38.5 if your getting this round town etc sounds ok to me
    EBONY PEARL 2003 1.8T SPORT GMBH 190 AVANT 19" GALLARDO,S S4 SILVER SILK NAPPA HEATED RECARO,S MATT ALI MIRRORS,O.CT INTAKE PIPE, B7 DTM VOTEX SKIRTS, HYPERBOOST HX DIVERTER VALVE, RS4 DOORCARDS+TRIGGERS, AUTO-DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR, RS4 BRUSHED ALI TRIM, RS4 START BUTTON, PIPERCROSS PANEL FILTER, RIEGER INFINITY FRONT BUMPER:: NOW REMAP,D TO 240 ISH BHP OMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the reply its mix of urban and motorway. more so motorway than anything else. either someones syphoning my fuel or the car is being held back by a black hole! either surely it should be better when my mates quatro 3.0 and been remapped is getting 40+ round town I aint thrashing my car as I also hold a LGV 1 licence so know how to drive according to the condtions so to speak.

A5 TSFI

Status
    Indeed, what sort of driving do you do? If its short journeys on a start/stop then thats about right.

If its longer journeys then you should be over the 50 mark!

I averaged 58mpg on a 38 mile journey both town and motorway!
    Ranting about Audi Customer Service

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the reply been thinking this might have something to do with it my journey is 8 miles to work via urban and motorway there and back talking 16miles. < what do you think OR is there another cunning plan that has come to someones mind to get to the bottom of it.

A5 TSFI

Status
    Take it for a good long drive at the weekend, motorway preferably, normal speeds and see what that does. Do you use the same garage to get diesel? They might have sheite fuel. Some of my local garages diesel doesnt seem to last as long as some others.
    Ranting about Audi Customer Service

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ang12el
    quatro 3.0 and been remapped is getting 40+ round town
    Sorry but there is no way on earth that a 3.0 quattro gets 40+ around town unless it's ALL downhill or he's getting a tow

6th Gear

Status
    Agree,no way can a 3.0 get 40+ around town,i doubt he will get that on a motorway driving like miss daisey.

***** rent boy

Status
    My 1.8T gets around 23mpg in town, how can a 3.0 quattro get 40+?

2nd Gear

Status
    It's got to do with the lengths of you journey. Modern diesel engines are very thermally efficient and take a long time to come upto the right operating temperature due to the lack of wasted energy in the combustion process. The best way to check is to put you DIS system onto the instantaneous mpg and then take the car for a drive of say 50+ miles on the motorway. After the engine gets properly warmed up you should see the mpg go way up
    Enda1

96 S6 2.3T
    99 A6 1.8T SE
    93 80 2.0 (gone)
    93 Kawasaki ZZR600

1st Gear

Status
    I have a 1.9 TDI Quattro Sport 130bhp. I put Ł20 VPower diesel in the other day and i only got 135 miles? The next time i filled up, i put normal diesel in and it took Ł56 to fill from light on. I got 490 miles showing on the DIS. I'll report back when the light comes on again.

Is this normal though or am i using too much? The Ł20 Vpower was rouund town driving. I have also just had full service including cambelt etc...

Neutral

Status
    Ohps stand corrected he gets 40 mpg on the motorway at constant 85 I know this is definatly right as I was in his car this morning from Leeds - Liverpool.

Will give the suggestion re the motorway a go and report back. Thanks for the info so far

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by james0808
    Agree,no way can a 3.0 get 40+ around town,i doubt he will get that on a motorway driving like miss daisey.
    Agreeing with this one, no way is this physically possible! Im getting at best 32mpg on a mixed cruise driving like my mum in my 3.0 Quattro Sport!

As for the original query, im going with giving it a long run at contstant cruise to "blow out the cobwebs" so to speak. Always helped in diesels i've had in the past.
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

6th Gear

Status
    Ohps stand corrected he gets 40 mpg on the motorway at constant 85 I know this is definatly right as I was in his car this morning from Leeds - Liverpool.
    Thats still a good figure for a 3.0.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm getting 44-46mpg outta my 1.9TDi 130 Sport (i have to work out my mpg manually as it don't have the computer! ) Maybe yours needs a tune?

Audi A4 1.8TQ

Status
    A4 Avant 115bhp 52 reg 115K on the clock on trip computer on Emc shows as 38.5! mpg I am lucky if I get 200m out of Ł20 diesel according to parkers it should be in the region of 48mpg. Just yesterday I had the timing belt water pump and tensioners and full service done inc doors lubricated suspension and exhaust also checked. Surely this should rise the Emc was fully checked at the VAG garage it was in and the mechanic said that it was mechanicaly one of the best cars he had worked on no problems reported via the Vagcom.

So what else or should I say were the heck is my fuel going.... anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing it or is it one of those VAG mysteries where I will never find the answer?

200 miles, 20 quids worth of diesel, thats really good...

Think about it

It's now 1 quid a litre, 20 litres is 4 gallons, thats 50mpg

Remember fuel has gone up
    And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf
    My 1.8T gets around 23mpg in town, how can a 3.0 quattro get 40+?
    I'll second that - the 1.8T's simply sup juice during urban driving

Status
    Yep &#163;10 per 100 miles is exactly right. Don't believe the trip computer, you need to do your own calculation.

***** rent boy

Status
    Recently I've been getting an average of 29mpg in town, as I have been driving like an absolute granny, it's not easy or fun but I put in exactly 15 litres and I managed to squeeze out 105 miles which aint too shabby.

1st Gear

Status
    The DIS mpg reading can be way off! Mine was always overreading. So much so I've got it spot on now by using VAGCOM to make it 115% from 100%. It would say 58mpg, now it's 49mpg, more like it!!!! 100 miles for Ł10 isn't far off, your DIS sounds way off to me!
    2001 - Silver A4 1.9TDi Sport

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status

ANY GOOD?

Hope mines doing good,i get around 150-160 on Ł20 of diesel around town,involving alot of stop starts, A4 TDI 130.

On the run (motorway) 124 miles on Ł11.20

Today display was showing '10 miles' to empty,i then filled up with Ł30 quid and center display was now showing ''255'' miles to empty,that was telling me that i would get around 80 miles to a tenner around town.
    Last edited by vw754; 23rd October 2007 at 01:27.

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Ill Agree with these boys, Though the topic is about Diesel, My 1.8T delivers avearge 24mpg until the hefty foot comes out now and again then its 75-85 miles to Ł20 Vpower/BP before the Petrol 'Dinnngggggg' alerts me
    Quote Originally Posted by pav-g
    I'll second that - the 1.8T's simply sup juice during urban driving

1st Gear

Status
    Agree, I get 300 miles to tank if im lucky, but mostly with a heavy right foot.

1st Gear

Status
    I can get around a 100 to a tenner, on a run 110 easily maybee more.
    This is a 130 Avant sport TDI with 146k

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by banny
    I can get around a 100 to a tenner, on a run 110 easily maybee more.
    This is a 130 Avant sport TDI with 146k
    Hows your fuel fed into the engine - through a straw if you are getting over 110miles or 220 to say well 4 and a smidgeon gallons the you are doing very well is that motorway miles or stop start round town?... Just this morning I stuck in (got stung here) as didnt reaslise the petrol station I go to round the corner which by the way sells the cheapest diesel in the area 95.8p per ltr. However they have started selling the V power diesel but the price is not on the display board on the forecourt. I went to a pump and didnt realise that this was a V power pump and filled up my normal Ł20 when got in car realised that I had paid Ł1.05 per ltr!!!
    Now I have done just over 100 miles and I am going to have to fill up again shortly So I am getting like erm 25 miles to the gallon now

Status
    As said about a million times on this thread &#163;10 should get you about 100 miles (depending on driving style and city or motorway), so if you're getting 100miles to 20 litres thats only 23mpg i.e there's something definately wrong with your car. I get about that from my 2.8Q petrol.
    Our 130 TDi averages 48mpg and even in stop start traffic never falls below 30mpg on the DIS and purely on motorway cruising at 80-85mph will deliver 60mpg.