headlight steams up!

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
A4 b6 2001 the drivers side headlight seems to get moisture,took light out and put sealant all around,same problem,any idea's?

All the plastic covers are still there,this happened after fitting after market xenons,but my passenger side light is ok.

Known problem with early models, only long term solution is a new headlight. I had the same problem for ages, and I just took it out and blasted it clear with a hairdryer, and that seemed to do the trick for a while.

Took my factory xenon headlight moisture issue to the dealership. They said moisture was normal as they are "ventilated" and did not need to be sealed. Bunch of crap if you asked me.

Mines a 51reg and is doing the exact same thing only drivers side as well doesnt bother me but don't look good :blink:

Xenon's have to be ventilated due to the heat generated. Steaming up is a common complaint, but perfectly normal, unfortunately. Don't completely seal them!!

There is an Audi technical doucument somewhere that states the tolerances on how long it takes the moisture to evaporate after the healdlight is switched on - i.e. how excessive is the moisture. If it takes longer than stated, then audi will replace the headlight.

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]MadVW's right !! :icon_thumright: [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Heres an extract from the TSB[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]+ [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Exterior light assemblies (headlights, taillights, fog lights, turn signals) are vented
and may collect moisture on their inner surfaces, depending on humidity and other
climatic changes.
• For headlights, the affected lens surface should be clear after approx. 10 minutes of
light operation, although the entire surface may not clear.
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]________ [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Note: [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]
Condensation does not affect performance of
light assemblies.
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]In cases where larger water droplets have
formed on the inside of the lens or significant
amount of water has collected at the bottom
of a light assembly:
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]— [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Check for leaking seals, cracks in lenses or assemblies.
DO NOT replace light or lens assemblies for
this condition (unless damage is found).
If damage to seals or cracks to lenses or
assemblies are found:
• Follow normal repair procedures for this type
of failure (provide a photograph, if possible,
with repair documentation for verification).
If no damage is found, use compressed air
(less than 30 PSI [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]) [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]to blow out the lens. [/FONT]