signs of water pump failure..?

prel2000

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the signs to a water pump failure..??
Today all the coolant in the car drained...

Called out the AA, they filled it up with water after which it seemed alright, he connected up his gadgetry and said there is a slight loss to pressure indicating a leak....The garage (not stealer) diagnosed a water pump, but could it be something else, like an aux rad? please advise soon as the garage starts work on the car tomorrow morning...!!

The car is an Audi a4 1.8T (2002).

If the water pump is original then it'll be on it's last legs anyway. Has the car had the cambelt done? This needs to be done at around 70k miles or 4-5 years (depending on who you believe). The water pump should be done at the same time, but can be overlooked (especially by a stealer).
If it hasn't then get them to do it regardless as the job is mainly labour (about £100 parts). If they suspect the water pump then go with it as it's a common failure (Audi still use a plastic impeller which basically falls apart inside) and if it seizes up then say goodbye to most of your 20 valves.

Thanks for the reply...

The cambelt was changed 2 years ago at 74k by stealer (car has full audi history). However, there is no mention of the water pump being changed in the service history.

So you reckon the diagnosis could be correct?

There was no leak prior to today, all that happened is i parked the car park in multi story and i tapped the wall infront. When i got out I could see the water drain from under the car. As i bent down to have a look i could see water pouring out from the end of the undercover behind the engine, bit like a running tap..

Ouch, so does it look like its coming from the back of the engine or the front? Sometimes difficult to tell as it can run off the underplate anywhere.
Have you driven it since?

Did you tell the AA bloke about the bump?

Id say it was deffo to do with the little bump you have had, perhaps cracked something.

It might be the jacket has blown that is located at the back of the engine, it is a multi feed job that must be a weak point as mine went a few months ago, cost of job was approx 150 quid inc parts i also had a new header tank fitted at the same time as mine was scummy and needed doing..

The hoses in question are a pita to get too and are like a 3 way pipe, the top of the engine needs to be stripped down, which is what cost me the money, the plastic pipe on mine was leaking for approx 6 motnhs but just gave in and I had to get it done. :)

Edit.
Looking at your post and your car i would imagine your layout is different to mine, i have a 2002 1.8T Q so the engine in mine is different? (yours being FWD)