Sound proofing bonnet on 1.9TDi

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Has anyone done this?
Noticed the bonnet of my wifes Avant is so tinny compared to my B5, sounds like an oil drum when you close it.
Removed the liner this morning and it's the cheapest shoddy bit of tat I've ever seen.
I'm gonna to Dynamat it but wondered if anyone had bought a specific kit to replace the grubby rag that Audi have fitted under the bonnet?

Sorry to go a bit off topic/hijack here Andy but Ive just noticed that I dont have any lining in my bonet, should I have on a B6 A4 petrol?

I started a thread recently on Audiworld about how much noise my engine makes at relativly low speeds (80mph), could it be possible its the fact I have no lining in my bonet?

Anyways let me know how you get on with it if you decide to do it, I might give it a shot myself.

Cheers :)

Well I wouldn't worry about the Audi lining. Looks like the cheapest bit of carpet, the sort you'd use to cover a sub enclosure. I've Dynamatted underneath the lining, which now gives it a reassuring thunk when closing it, but am on the lookout for a proper fitted replacement that's more than 2mm thick.

Im just wondering if not having it could be attributing to the engine noise Im hearing Andy. It just sounds a bit loud thats all. Worth a try I guess.

cheers.

Well I guess it would be better than nothing, I'm guessing it had one originally. Never seen an Audi that didn't.