Help me with two annoying problems

Freethy

Reaction score
Had my A4 avant 1.9 tdi for just over a week now and I have a couple of issues.

Firstly one of the red bulbs/leds behind the centre air vent controls (wheel thing that glows red) has gone. I pulled a bit at the whole section and it seems pretty rigid. Is there anyway i can get to this area to change it?

Secondly the glove box has been very stiff opening and making a kind of clicking sound. I was planning on looking at it when i get a chance (moving house Friday!), but tonight i went to put something in it and the door flap made a loud click/pop and dropped open. The glove box now opens instantly and just falls to its fully open position but the light inside now doesn't come on - it did before. I had a look when i got home with a torch and couldn't see a lot. Any ideas what it was? is there a senser type switch to turn on the light or is it always on?

I appreciate these are the most boring questions likely to come up but they are really bugging me. :motz:

the glove box problem happened to me and is easily fixed. the glove box is attached to a gas strut type mechanism like the ones for the boot and the bonnet and when you open the glove box the mechanism supports the weight and the door opens slowly. the door is attached to the mechanism by a plastic pin (yes I know, cheap tack that is bound to break) and it is the pin that has broken so when you open the glove box the door just drops open.

to fix it open the passenger door fully and prize the end cover off using your car key in the slots on the edge of the cover. this will give you access to the gas strut thingy. open the glove box door and you will see where the strut fixes to the door. get a bit of solder or any other bit of wire that you can bend and pull the strut out and attach back onto the door with the wire, and thats it, then just put the end cover back on and job done.

*nods*
The glove box is a common fault on A4s. Try a screw of the right size or a pop rivet - that way you're sure it won't come out again

Had mine replaced twice, before it was replaced the glovebox felt like it needed a crowbar to open it.

By the way I think the damper is oil filled.

Thought i'd post a follow up on this as i have finally had a look at it

The pin had as you all said broke - although i couldn't find the damn thing there. Part of the plastic on the mechanism has a crack in it which is also causing a problem as its weakened so i have attempted a double fix on this. If it doesn't hold it looks like i will need a new part.

Still haven't got to the bottom of the air vent light though

The whole hinge on my B6 broke leaving the damper intact. The damper just seizes up and the hinge part is brittle and feeble so if you try and force it it snaps either the pin or the hinge. I repaired mine with a metal strap and araldite and a couple of long self tapping screws. Already forked out £20 on the damn thing when the opening catch broke, not spending anymore on a ****** glovebox!
If your glove box is stiff then don't force it open, spray the damper with silicon spray and ease it open and shut a few times. Mine is now silky smooth. The whole glovebox is totally over engineered, and also under engineered at the same time. The hinge is feeble but the damper is a nice touch if it didn't seize up. But to have to replace the whole glovebox when the hinge snaps is just ridiculous. They could have so easily made the hinge replaceable.

well you learn somthing about your car everyday!

I went out at lunch time (after reading this thread) and checked my glovebox as i was sure it just fell down with a thump when you opened it. As described the little plastic rivit had broken and the door was not pulling on the shock. I also noticed that this is why the glovebox lamp was not working as when the shock is pulled the metal contact join to turn the lamp on!

I managed to seperate a 4mm by 12mm rivit and use the tube part to join the glovebox and shock back together. A good helping of spray grease to make it work a bit better and all is well.

Had mine replaced 3 times under warranty, the key is to use the ****** lid gently.:motz: