Internal rattles/creeks when cold!

Marko

Reaction score
Has anybody else experienced creeks or rattles with the interior when the car is cold in mornings? I don't know whether it is me becoming obsessed by them, but, I sometimes get a front window rattle and a steering column tick when it's cold. I've also noticd a ticking noise from the back seat which sounds like the leather and will go better when the car is warmer, or on warmer days. I've checked places where the noises are coming from and all seems solid.

Would the sports suspension increase the likelyhood of rattles? Has anybody else experienced this? They annoy me as I thought these cars were solid.

Regards

I bought an SE in 2001 and I put 55K on the clock without any rattles or squeeks. I've now got a sport with 60k on the clock, and it has rattles and squeeks(when cold). I think that the harder suspension does cause more rattles.

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody else experienced creeks or rattles with the interior when the car is cold in mornings? I don't know whether it is me becoming obsessed by them, but, I sometimes get a front window rattle and a steering column tick when it's cold. I've also noticd a ticking noise from the back seat which sounds like the leather and will go better when the car is warmer, or on warmer days. I've checked places where the noises are coming from and all seems solid.

Would the sports suspension increase the likelyhood of rattles? Has anybody else experienced this? They annoy me as I thought these cars were solid.

Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

With respect you list your car as a 2001..... It's not going to be rattle free for ever!!

My car has had the odd creak when the outside temp is freezing or below. But as you say as soon as the interior warms up it's as solid as a rock and this has only happened a few times.

I'd say it was normal at minus 2 to expect a creak or two.

I agree the S-Line suspension wont help matters but I'm very pleased with the build of my car.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Marko, I've had exactly the same as you. A creak from the front windscreen seems like it's coming from the A pillar, again only when it's around 0'oC and one in the rear left which I tracked back to the leather on the back trim ( split fold rear seats). Mines a 2004 sport.
Hope this helps.

Mine rattles a wee bit from the rear in morning, then vanishes... one of those mysteries...

Thanks for your replies. I agree with Avus that a car in its 5th year may well have a few squeeks. Sometimes I get in and it's totally creek/rattle free. I rather think I'm getting in and listening for them... you here all sorts when you get into that mode ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I guess it can't be perfect all the time.

Regards

Marko

Sorry Lon, I meant to reply to your comment re the sports suspension!! I think it may well be the case, it really can't make any potential noises any better.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your replies. I agree with Avus that a car in its 5th year may well have a few squeeks. Sometimes I get in and it's totally creek/rattle free. I rather think I'm getting in and listening for them... you here all sorts when you get into that mode ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I guess it can't be perfect all the time.

Regards

Marko

[/ QUOTE ]

One method I find useful is attaching a large pair of earmuffs over your.. well ears.

Preferrably in pink. If you prefer the less in your face approach, turn the radio up or earplugs.

Whilst I realise this helps in no form, I though it may amuse someone!!

IMO, every car will have a rattle or squeak when its cold as physics take hold. Warmer temperatures mean the interior will expand and thus less rattles. You can stop some but you can never stop all.

I had a ride in a VW Phaeton recently and to be honest all though it was really smooth and really like a limo, it still creaked when we first got going.

Lynas

Your car is the same model and year as mine, how have you found yours?

Oh and did it have the DIS and computer?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mine's fine, slight wobble from front at speed, but that's starting to go now new pads are bedding in discs.

Apart from that, nice, miss the poke of a petrol.. but I;ll get over it.

Now looking for a body kit cheapish or straight swap for beasty PC.

Very clean car.. as seen here...

rearfull.jpg

and here

offfrontfull.jpg

and here

frontwheel.jpg

Ah well, car looks the business and that's all that matters. I'm sure you can live without a computer!!!