Which Oil & filter to use on a 1.8T B6 ?

Carl1965

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to do an oil & filter change next weekend and after having a good look around there seems to be a varied opinion as to what's best so in the end I was looking to go with Audi/VW Quantum PLATINUM / PD Oil - 5 Litres 5 40 - 5w/40 and a Mann FILTER now there seems to be two types of filter that will fit either a W719/30 or a W940/25 which I understand is bigger could someone please confirm that the oil would be ok and which filter they'd choose or point be in the direction of a better alternative.

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 2.8 V6 B5 Audi, I atcually used an 'Oversized' filter. Initially a lot of 1.8t B5 owners used the bigger filters I just wanted to use it on the 2.8 because I could. The extra oil capacity was 'supposed' help with relieving any sludging issues.

There are plenty of threads about it with part numbers. Do a quick search.

Dan

On my 1.8T 190 i use 5w30 oil and always use the larger filter. I change mine every 5-6k

Thanks for that information do you have a part number for the filter you use please? I've just been on the MANN website and they say the B6 can use a W940/66 filter which is apparently larger

I have always used genuine audi oil filters, the last one i fitted to our old 1.8t was the bigger type cost nearly double the smaller type! as for oil 5w40 millers fully synth is my choice

Ive got a1.8t I always use an Audi Filter (they are not that expensive) the right size one and the Audi Quantum oil 5w40 never had an issue!

Changed the oil in my 1.8T cabriolet. £19.99 Quantum PLATINUM 5W40 and a oil filter for £5.99 from TPS

Apparently in the MANN filter range there are three to choose from for the 1.8T the part numbers are either W719/30 (standard size) or W940/25 (Larger size) or W940/66 (larger size)

Hope this helps

What's the advantages of going for a larger oil filter? I'm guessing something to do with sludge issues?

What's the advantages of going for a larger oil filter? I'm guessing something to do with sludge issues?
More oil more cleaning power is the theory keeps the sludge at bay fella!

Ive got a1.8t I always use an Audi Filter (they are not that expensive) the right size one and the Audi Quantum oil 5w40 never had an issue!

Mann W950/4 on my 1.8tq.

Be warned, it's big, don't run out of fresh oil if you purchase it [oil] in 1ltr bottles, <hehe>

FYI Fuchs Race Pro S 5w-30 this time around [5-40 last time].

Less than 5k and oil is streaking on the dipstick [not much but it's starting] these longitudinal turboed engines are HARD on their oil for sure.

On another oil thread I started I talked about ASDA SJ rated 5w-40 synth, I have decided to use that as an intermediate flushing agent before draining after 20 minutes running before filling with the ester based Titan.

I had the same done when I bought the car but also used a propriety flushing agent, have decided to just use oil for a clean out from now on as I feel it COULD be a hazard if you don't know the full history of the engine.....

my10pworth anyway.

Mo.

Last edited: