Other audi sat navs

bradh

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys been offered an a6 sat nav head unit it's not a newer version older version with smaller screen but it been offered to me on the cheep , but I'm in sure on fitment will it fit my a4 I have double din slot already

So will I need any other cables adapters I understand that it could be fitted but a small gap is visible at the top of unit ??

Any one fitted one before ??

When I went to fit the RNSd from my A4 into my A6 it wouldn't fit, so I Imagine the reverse is true. They have removable fronts though, and sometimes you can buy other fronts on ebay.

As well as swapping the front panel to an A4 one (which might be quite hard to get as the RNS-D was discontinued in 2004) you'll need a TMC tuner if you want the RNS-E to turn on/off with ignition and to get the nav instructions on the DIS (as well as being a TMC tuner it's also a CAN bus converter and without it the RNS-D and the car cannot communicate - the RNS-D talks a Bosch dialect on the CAN bus not the correct Audi dialect).

I paid well under £200 for the RNSd, TMC unit, autochanger and GPS aerial with a bit of shrewd purchasing.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/196075-rns-d-install.html.

Someone already has first dibs on it, but my headunit will be available soon as I bought a new one for the A6. There was an eBay seller with brand new fronts available a while ago, but they cost similar to a good unit.

Here is a B6 one:

AUDI A4 A6 S4 S6 SAT NAVIGATION PLUS RADIO CD PLAYER RNS-D 4B0035192K & CODE | eBay

And here's a spares or repair unit you could take the front from:

AUDI A8 A4 A6 SAT NAV NAVIGATION PLUS S8 RADIO CD PLAYER RNS-D FREE POSTAGE | eBay

Don't give up at the first hurdle and you'll have a bargain ;)

your a bad man quattrojames (added to my ebay watching list!!!!!!!) so if i was to win that s4 one what would i need to fit this to my car then??

tmc
gps ariel
cd changer

silly question but does the rns-e need the extra bits as well or does it just need the gps ariel??

Just the aerial I think. They have a single slot CD (I think) and they don't need the TMC as they're canbus compatible.

superstar again james just found possible a cheep rns-e at £250 sounds reasonable?

If it's a genuine RNSe at that price it's very very cheap. They're usually north of £400.

part number he has sent me is 8e0 035 192 B iv done google search and that comes back as an rns-d so back to searching

part number he has sent me is 8e0 035 192 B iv done google search and that comes back as an rns-d so back to searching
+1

The first RNS-E for the A4 was 8E0 035 192 C, see Audi A4 / S4 / RS4 [8E/B6/B7] - part numbers | Audi Forum

BTW to retrofit an RNS-E if you have a Symphony II all you need is:
- wiring adapter (ISO to Quadlock)
- antenna adapter (car + Fakra to dual Fakra)
- hockey puck GPS antenna
- set of 4 Audi radio removal keys
- access to VCDS to check/correct the coding of the RNS-E, and recode the instruments (so the nav instructions show in the DIS)

It's a retrofit I've done at least a dozen times and should take no more than half an hour.

Obviously if you've got a single DIN radio then it's more involved as you have to do the single DIN to double DIN upgrade as well.