Headlight Adjuster problem... any ideas!?

4wheels

Reaction score
i have a problem with the lights on my 2004 S4.
the dash tells me that the headlight adjustment is a bit faulty by showing the dipped headlight symbol on the display.

however!!
if you turn then lights on, and then start the car, i can see them hunt down and then up. so they appear to work.
ive even bought a new adjuster motor from audi, and tried it on both sides which didnt really make any difference.

any ideas? i guess a broken wire somewhere on the feedback loop??? or do i need to clear the fault after fitting new part?

had this on my car
do you have vcds or anyone local whom can scan the car for you

Did you do a vcds to diagnose the actual fault?

Most likely the levelling sensor has come adrift or is faulty. If you had fixed it, the light would extinguish from the dash but a DTC stored in the ecu.

the previous owner had it scanned and said to replace the motor.... so did that.
i havent looked at the sensor yet, i guess thats the next place to look.

might have a look on ebay and see what you can buy to look at teh vag codes.

front sensor is just behind the wheel arch liner on passenger side
youll need vcds to check its altering position when moved

i'd imagine, id i turned lights and ignition on, and moved it, it should move the light?

It will still move yes as that is part of the levelling system. But with a sensor being off level/broken, it will throw a fault and put the headlight into a default/fail safe position so not to dazzle other road users.

ah yea, makes sense.
at least itll prove a broken wire or not i guess