EM TuningJMB Retrofits
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Automatic boot opening

God Mode

Status

Automatic boot opening

This topic has been around a few times but found it a little tricky to find info on fitting, etc.

Found the (presumed) parts for a b7 which should be same as b6 Auto boot opening parts
    Also saw it done the pikey way on a mk5 Golf forum MK5 Golf 'Autoboot' pikey mod - uk-mkivs
    Not sure if doing the b6 mod would be similar to the golf, looks like it may also need coding.

Don't even remember if the boot open button works on mine, would check this but it's currently at the body shop. Just looking for a guide or someone to help me with this. Only concern is when the car opens the boot does too although surely there's something to stop that else the mod wouldn't be worth doing.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    This is on my todo list.

You basically need new boot hinges and springs and the stronger dampers.......that is it

When the boot button is pressed the stronger dampers and springs fully push open the boot lid.
    Mike

B6 A4 1.9 TDI Sport 130 - GMBH/S-Line kit - Akoya Silver
    - BUILD THREAD >>

God Mode

Status
    Cheers, sounds fairly straight forward in that case. Thought it would need some degree of coding as the mk5 has the boot open button coded to make the boot pop which is somehow different to when the doors open so the boot opens but doesn't pop up when you unlock the car.

6th Gear

Status
    No coding needed as it is all mechanical upgraded
    Mike

- BUILD THREAD >>

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Archies On Twitter
    Are these parts available from Audi because when i google the part numbers i only get american sites for the parts
    Vag-Com enabled. PM if you need a plugin. Im on the map.

Pro Tinkerer

Status
    Does anyone know if this can be done on the Avant?
    Made on the red side of Manchester

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Ive done some searching on Google and i dont think it can be done on the Avant m8

Pro Tinkerer

Status
    Boooooo
    Made on the red side of Manchester

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

might be wrong on what i posted earlier BigJim, take a look at this Audi A6 Avant kick to open electric boot lid - YouTube

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.M View Post
    This is on my todo list.

You basically need new boot hinges and springs and the stronger dampers.......that is it

When the boot button is pressed the stronger dampers and springs fully push open the boot lid.
    Where from? Audi? Part numbers. I think the oem way of just opening and that's it is pretty pointless as it should open all the way out of factory.

God Mode

Status
    Really should open as standard but suppose this kind of (not so complicated) technology wasn't around.

3rd Gear

Status
    Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
    I looked into this a few years ago, my memory is a bit sketchy, but I seem to remember that the parts are very expensive. I'm happy to be proved wrong though as I would do this on mine.
    B8 S4 Avant in Misano Red with some lovely toys!
    Prev: B6 A4 Saloon 1.9 TDI quattro Sport - great car.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Found the part numbers with prices but not sure if theses prices will be the same now, i will call Audi and see what they say.

8E5 827 302 D - Right £24.89
    8E5 827 301 D - Left £24.89
    4F5 827 665 A x2 £27.13
    8E5 827 552 K x2 £50.41

These are for the hinges, the gas struts and the springs.

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Piedone on Facebook
    Can this job can be done on an b5?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedone View Post
    Can this job can be done on an b5?
    You have a b6 which is essentially the same underneath as a b7 so the mods are compatible....a b5 is the a4 built between 1997 to 2001...
    Piedone likes this.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Piedone on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    You have a b6 which is essentially the same underneath as a b7 so the mods are compatible....a b5 is the a4 built between 1997 to 2001...
    Thank you adamss24 for your quick reply.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselJake View Post
    This topic has been around a few times but found it a little tricky to find info on fitting, etc.

Found the (presumed) parts for a b7 which should be same as b6 Auto boot opening parts
    Also saw it done the pikey way on a mk5 Golf forum MK5 Golf 'Autoboot' pikey mod - uk-mkivs
    Not sure if doing the b6 mod would be similar to the golf, looks like it may also need coding.

Don't even remember if the boot open button works on mine, would check this but it's currently at the body shop. Just looking for a guide or someone to help me with this. Only concern is when the car opens the boot does too although surely there's something to stop that else the mod wouldn't be worth doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archies View Post
    Found the part numbers with prices but not sure if theses prices will be the same now, i will call Audi and see what they say.

8E5 827 302 D - Right £24.89
    8E5 827 301 D - Left £24.89
    4F5 827 665 A x2 £27.13
    8E5 827 552 K x2 £50.41

These are for the hinges, the gas struts and the springs.
    I didn't even know this exists, got to have it as I am in need of this feature every day, thanks guys for the info, gonna get a quote 1st thing for the parts.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

3rd Gear

Status
    Be sure to let us know!

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Come on you boffins out there.....design a system for the Avant please!! :-)
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Have you seen this S4_dan i did post it but you may not have seen it, might be worth looking into

Audi A6 Avant kick to open electric boot lid - YouTube

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Have you seen this S4_dan i did post it but you may not have seen it, might be worth looking into

Audi A6 Avant kick to open electric boot lid - YouTube
    Yeah I had watched that. But need to know more about that setup. Particularly for the B6 Avant. Hmmmm, need to remove my boot trim soon so maybe look at what could be added/modded.....

Dan
    Archies likes this.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by S4_dan View Post
    Yeah I had watched that. But need to know more about that setup. Particularly for the B6 Avant. Hmmmm, need to remove my boot trim soon so maybe look at what could be added/modded.....

Dan
    Dan,

The system on the avant is similar to my wifes X5. because of the very heavy tailgate its a mechanical lift and lower system operated by electric motors hence the close button you see in the video. It was a £1280 extra on the X5 and I am sure you could retro fit the system to a vehicle that it was designed for, sadly the B6/B7 A4 never had auto open/close tailgate so I doubt if this is going to be available unless someone gets clever. The fact that the boot lid opens in the video for the late model A6 with the owners foot is part of the keyless-go system so as long as you have the key in you pocket the sensor under the bumper picks up your foot and opens the boot, this would have been a nice feature on the X5 as we have keyless-go but BMW didn't think of it.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffDunk View Post
    Dan,

The system on the avant is similar to my wifes X5. because of the very heavy tailgate its a mechanical lift and lower system operated by electric motors hence the close button you see in the video. It was a £1280 extra on the X5 and I am sure you could retro fit the system to a vehicle that it was designed for, sadly the B6/B7 A4 never had auto open/close tailgate so I doubt if this is going to be available unless someone gets clever. The fact that the boot lid opens in the video for the late model A6 with the owners foot is part of the keyless-go system so as long as you have the key in you pocket the sensor under the bumper picks up your foot and opens the boot, this would have been a nice feature on the X5 as we have keyless-go but BMW didn't think of it.

It's not so much the closing the part I'm after. It's the boot opening I'd prefer as my hands are usually full of kids and puschairs and shopping etc. My son could press the remote boot button on my key fob and the boot lid open so I can just put it all in there straight away without putting it down on the wet ground etc.

Something like some high tension springs to lift the boot quickly enough once the catch releases, then the struts lift the rest of the way to the fully open position. But the springs can't be too high on tension as I don't want to be force slamming the boot shut....

Dan
    Last edited by S4_dan; 27th January 2014 at 16:05.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

That would be an issue Dan, if you were to find high tension springs then the boot will come down very heavy on close, something to def think about.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Right lads ive had a reply off Audi regarding the parts and they told me they would cost £171.91inc.vat and postage within UK mainland
    And i would have to order online at Stoke Audi Parts - Gift Certificates

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I am waiting for TPS to come back to me, they reckon they can get them just waiting for prices.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Please let me know Geoff, i will hold out on ordering from Audi until you get a price..

Archie

3rd Gear

Status
    At £171, I'd definately do it. You could be about to make yourself a very popular pair of gentlemen on this board!

If either of you do do it, a brief description of any issues other than the obvious swapping of parts would be greatly appreciated.
    Archies likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Don't forget that you will need to paint the new hinges too.

This has been on my todo list for a long time.
    Archies likes this.
    Mike

- BUILD THREAD >>

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Ive ordered the parts needed from Audi, illl keep you updated on the fitting of them when i get them.

Archie

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Nice one Archie, I got pretty much the same prices (give or take some pennies) from TPS, all original parts of course.

Have them on order and will get them fitted during the service next week!

Can't wait, could have done with this this morning as I "threw" my packed lunch all over the drive way because my hands were full of other stuff and couldn't get the boot open lol.

Oh the irony!!!!!

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Great stuff Geoff,

Will be a god send, especially on shopping days.

I hope to god they work.lol....Wife thinks im nuts....
    Last edited by Archies; 28th January 2014 at 20:53.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I hope to god they work.lol....Wife thinks im nuts....
    I get that all the time especially when I get fussy about the small details, then again she has 2010 X5 with every conceivable extra including the remote tailgate option so she's sorted. Blimey, shes even got a heated steering wheel!
    Archies likes this.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

MMMMM Heated steering wheel, must put that on my to-do list Geoff lol..

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Good luck with that one lol, I don't think Audi even do it on the Q7.

Totally pointless extra if you ask me and wasted on the Mrs along with the HUD, 7 seats, 21" wheels and freeview/DVD with Dolby surround.

She only works 3 days a week and 14 miles each of those days!!!!! I kid you not.
    250836_101489476612006_7210059_n.jpg

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Nice car there Geoff,

I like big cars, i had Land Rovers for years, im on the look out for a solid Series 3, i love them but there hard to come by unless i spend stupid money. Ill probably wait until summer because they will come down a bit in price.

3rd Gear

Status
    At the risk of starting another mod... heated steering wheel was available on the B6!

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by benjie View Post
    At the risk of starting another mod... heated steering wheel was available on the B6!
    There you go Archie, do it!

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Why not fit some Transit valve springs to your current struts?

When you press the boot open, it opens the boot that extra couple of inches, enough for the struts to take over and open it rest of the way.

Its been done on Avants, golfs and others for years with out any adverse effect that I've read.

That should work with B5, B6, B7. If you got the boot open button, I don't

It does make it a little harder to shut but nothing that bad I don't think.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Cheers Scott,

I didnt know this or i would of probably tried them, ive placed the order now so its to late.

Archie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast