Audi A4 tdi 2.5 Sport Convertible 2003. Temp guage problem & ESP Light problem

dkarod1

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a problem with the temp guage not registering at all. Could it be the thermostat? or worse ? also have a problem with the ESP light that stays on when driving. Keeps going off then comes back on and stays on.
Would appreciate any advice. Would it be a sensor and any ideas on cost?
Cheers
dkarod1

Hi,
I have a problem with the temp guage not registering at all. Could it be the thermostat? or worse ?

You wanna hope it's not the thermostat mate as its situated behind the water pump so it's effectively a cambelt and water pump change! I had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago where it wasn't warming up past 70 degrees, cost me £900 to have the thermostat changed :-/

Does the engine warm up quickly? heater good and early ?if so the stats OK and it could be the coolant temp sender which is quick and easy to change.A diagnostic check would cover the TPS but not the stat.The ESP could be a faulty brake light switch but again a check would show

Does the engine warm up quickly? heater good and early ?if so the stats OK and it could be the coolant temp sender which is quick and easy to change.A diagnostic check would cover the TPS but not the stat.The ESP could be a faulty brake light switch but again a check would show

Many thanks, Yes the heater is good and early and the engine warms up quickly. I am hoping its the temp. sender. Am having the check via a diagnostic and see where it goes.
The ESP i think is with a sensor on a wheel. Today when driving the light went off but there was a squeeking noise from one of the wheels, the light came on and the squeeking went!
Cheers

Many thanks, Yes the heater is good and early and the engine warms up quickly. I am hoping its the temp. sender. Am having the check via a diagnostic and see where it goes.
The ESP i think is with a sensor on a wheel. Today when driving the light went off but there was a squeeking noise from one of the wheels, the light came on and the squeeking went!
Cheers

You wanna hope it's not the thermostat mate as its situated behind the water pump so it's effectively a cambelt and water pump change! I had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago where it wasn't warming up past 70 degrees, cost me £900 to have the thermostat changed :-/[/QUOTE

Am having a diagnostic check done tomorrow and hope it isn't the stat! Thanks for the info.