OSF Drive shaft has had it, whats the options for replacement???

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
I posted recently about having my lower arms replaced and still having a wobble, well put it back on the ramp today and had a little feel around, and there is massive amounts of play in my o/s inner driver shaft it seems if at least one of the bearings has collapsed, im told that the inner part is not replaceable?

Obviously dont wanna spend over £200+ on a new driveshaft, looking around at used and there are obviously different part numbers, checked on vagcat the the part number listed for my engine code is 8E0407272S, but this is apparently compatible for all the following engine codes too....

So can i use them off these codes? or am i best looking for a good one from same car, 2002 1.9tdi awx 5 speed??
8E0407272S

drive shaft with constant velocity
joints
right / ASN,AWX,BBJ, AVB,AVF,AMM, BDV

The rebuild option is the same as they want you to send your old shaft to them and they give you £50-£80 cash back from the £200-£300
I am in the same boat as you. Replaced all my arms, 2 CV joints and 4 wheel alignment that cost £80
Im hoping for some options other than the £200-£300 for the refurb ones

Im waiting on a price from a guy not too far from me breaking a car, or theres a few used ones on ebay for between 50 and 70 may take a punt on one of them..

Been in touch with a company in Team Valley Gateshead, called CPS Drivelink, who say they can fully recondition my shaft for £89.50 all in, but they'll need the shaft for a day, so now I need to sort transport so I can get it done.

Been in touch with a company in Team Valley Gateshead, called CPS Drivelink, who say they can fully recondition my shaft for £89.50 all in, but they'll need the shaft for a day, so now I need to sort transport so I can get it done.

I'm guessing thats both joints on each shaft?
I wonder how much it would be to post my shafts to them.... hhhmmmmmm

Cheers paul ill give them a bell first thing, and scott as far as im aware that is a full recon all new bearings etc inner and outer, ill update in the morning once ive spoken to Major and Aspinall

Rang them this morning, and apparently parts for the inner CV to recondition the shaft wont be available until june, so I just bit the bullet and bought a used one off a low miler, for 55 delivered,

Cheers for the update, let us know how good the low milage one is
Ive just had an email and fully recon ones for £100 each

Is that from drivelink mate? my shaft arrived this morning, nearly sliced my thumb off with blade I cut the package open with haha, but shaft seems really good, can still see part number clearly no wear on either cv, just been and bought the bit to be able to remove the shaft bolt earlier, so aslong as the snow holds off for an hour ill have it fitted tomorrow, just intime for my sline bumper to arrive then im off to Blackburn to collect my b7 wiper arms :) lots of bargains this week

fitted my shaft this morning n now I have a strange vibration. yet if I roll the car a foot or two it stops but then another foot or two and it starts again, goin to get the car up on a ramp and see if I can tell what it is,

Yes its from drivelink. £100 plus vat each.
I get a wierd vibration/shake after fitting new CV joints, so i am thinking its the inners that were worn and i have made them worse.
Maybe i am wrong, what did you find with yours once you had another look?
I'm also getting a few other things sorted, new Struts on the front also as we believe one maybe bent slightly (curbed maybe, before i bought the car)

Well got to the bottom of my issue, seems the tool I got the shaft off only went and sent me the wrong one, he sent me the passenger side, the shaft is about half inch shorter so my vibration is the bearings tapping on the inner cv casing, what made the situation worse Is I was just going to try swapping the bearings out but by the time I got back to my drive (all of ten feet from my lounge) the local scrap lads had helped themselves to it cheeky Tw*ts!

So rang the bloke I bought the shaft from and he's being quite good about it, he's sending me the other shaft on Tuesday and going to refund the cost for me to post the other back,

Hopefully when I update this on Tuesday ill be a happy bunny :)