Oil leak from the oil filter housing.

RobMorris

Reaction score
Chaps

I recently changed the oil/oil filter.
The filter and seal looked just like Genuine oil filter and seal VW Audi Skoda V6 diesel engines 059115562 | eBay

The lid/top of the housing didnt have a seal before but I was supplied with one with the new filter so thought id use it.
So I put that on where it seemed to fit IE around the outside.. I tightened it up but the seal kind of 'spodged' out 'a bit' so there was oil peshing down the side of the housing whilst the car was running.. I removed the seal and it seemed to be ok.

After doing a hundred miles or so oil is coming out of the seal/gap of the lid/top of the housing..!

What can I do to stop it? Did I use the gasket wrong before?

Cheers

When putting the housing back on,it should close (tighten) nice and smooth. If its hard and tight b4 its closed the seal is not sat properly

After a garage tidy last night I finally found my big adjustable so I could undo the oil filter housing cap.
I had a fright as there wasnt a drop of oil in the filter housing!?:wtf:

First instinct was to check the oil level and its fine..

The one thing that had happend was the filter was not clipped into the cap so I clipped this back in.

On the cap I also found the old perished O ring. It was flat, rock hard and crumbled under my taking it off..
I put my nice new round rubber O ring on and it appears to have fixed the leak!

I am still concerened about no oil in the housing though!?

Any advice?

Was there a little oil at the bottom of the filter housing? - the housings dont stay full of oil when the engine is off.

I guess there was a drip..barely..
I guess as i was used to a weeks previous when I done an oil change on a warm car it was full to the brim!
If the oil drains out over night then im ok..