Help A4 B6 AWX Alternator Tensioner Replacement

samsam

Reaction score
Hi,

could someone shed some light on this problem......

i have a whining noise from the tensioner roller what I am wanting to know is can I just buy the v roller it's self or do I have to buy the whole damper / tensioner and can this be fitted without removing the bumper / front of the car .....???? Looks a really small area to work with ....

Please can someone help me with this

thanks

sam

The front of the car will pull forward into a service position to give you more room.

I haven't yet had to touch the tensioner on mine (yet..) so can't really comment, but I have in the past managed to replace just the bearing inside tensioners, looks like its made of plastic so not sure if the bearing would press out or not.
If its done a load of miles then it wouldn't hurt to change the complete unit with dampers..

It's done 125k.... Is it just a straight bolt on no adjusting ??

Iirc?????

ta

Once you get to the tensioner roller you are only a few steps from a full cambelt change, so best to do the whole job.

yes it just bolts straight on

A haynes manual says to remove the viscous fan but you don't have to

not sure if you have to put it in service position as the only time I have removed it was when I did my cam belt so was in service position anyway

Did mine without removing the front.. Took me 20 mins.. But mine is the AVF, so its the other tensioner..
But I dont Think You are forced to remove the front.. I was told I was, but still did it without.. So..

It's a brand new alternator well about 8 months old

Ok.. But see if You Can get it off without removing the front.. The tensioner on mine, is a thick one, and still I managed to get it in...

Did mine without removing the front.. Took me 20 mins.. But mine is the AVF, so its the other tensioner..
But I dont Think You are forced to remove the front.. I was told I was, but still did it without.. So..

I stand corrected. I wonder if that's possible with the friction damped one that I have as it needs some fussy calibrating.