No power whilst cornering - Quattro level / G sensor?

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning,

Just wondering if someone knows the answer to this.

Basically, if I try and power round a corner and enter a slight slide, acceleration seems to stay at a constant point - it feels as-if I am on cruise control.
No sooner has the car straightened up and out of the slight slide the power is back.

I made sure the TCS was pressed and the light was on the dash, but there seems to be some kind of additional system to prevent power being put down during a slide?

I will double check what pushing the TCS button does as I am not sure what switching it off achieves. But if the car is going around a corner that fast and starts to slide the traction control system will cut any addition engine power request by you accelerating and apply the brakes using the ABS to straighten up then car and get it stable again before introducing more power. Unfortunately the car doesn't know if your in control or you have gone far too fast into a corner and losing control it just assumes the latter and tries to straighten it all out so you don't crash.

I will double check what pushing the TCS button does as I am not sure what switching it off achieves. But if the car is going around a corner that fast and starts to slide the traction control system will cut any addition engine power request by you accelerating and apply the brakes using the ABS to straighten up then car and get it stable again before introducing more power. Unfortunately the car doesn't know if your in control or you have gone far too fast into a corner and losing control it just assumes the latter and tries to straighten it all out so you don't crash.

Thanks Ian, I was under the assumption that turning off the traction control system allowed these conditions without interfering.

Had a look in my handbook for my A4 and all it says is the ESP should be switched off when some wheelspin is required, i.e driving on snow or ice.

I guess it's like most systems it will allow you to get moving with a little slip on mud/snow/ice but it presumes you will be at slow speeds. I guess when at higher speeds it will turn itself back on even though the lamp on the dash says it's still off. I guess its to make the car safer.

I'm not sure it turns off the system totally does it?

Keeps you out the hedge ;)

going by what they did on fifth gear with an audi tt you have to hold the esp button in until the light goes out again, never actually tried to see if it makes a difference myself though

I don't have an answer, but why are you trying to make it lose traction on a bend?

As hitman suggested -I held in the TCS button for arount 10 seconds and the TCS light extinguished.
The rear end seems to be abit "looser" (im talking about the car) after a quick blat - less understeer too - not convinced its all the way off though.

I don't have an answer, but why are you trying to make it lose traction on a bend?

I'm not really a fan of driver assistance - im also doing a track-day next month, so want to be able to push and drive the car properly without it holding back.

pull the abs fuse. or if you still want the abs to work find one of the accelaration sensors and unplug it. i dont know where they are as they dont go wrong so ive never changed one.
is there a separate fuse for the steering angle sensor? this would also render the esp inactive leaving the abs working.

i remember an e46 bmw 330i that came in with a steering angle sensor fault. the abs still worked but the customer said it was plain dangerous to drive with the esp not working. and he was the type of guy that turned it off on the button if he wanted to drive fast/have fun!