Glovebox Removal - Help Please

shaz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just tried to repair my glovebox as the hinge is broken and using quattrojames' post below i thought it would be easy, i have come across my first hurdle;

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/83231-glovebox-hinge-repair.html

according to the post thread above it says remove 5 nuts, three on top two below, i have done this but my glove box still seems as though it has something holding it onto the dash - Now the only difference is that my a4 has a cd changer in the glove box,

Can someone please guide me if the CD changer is causing my glovebox not to drop down as i have removed 5 nuts,

hope you can help me guys as its in bit at the moment...

also, wanted to ask, in the pics quattrojames gives he shows how he forces the pin out of the hinge - can the same pin be used or do i have to buy a new one?

thanks shaz

I used the same pin again, you'll just need a file to tidy the chewed end of it up again.

I can't help you on the CD changer, but if you've removed all the bolts I said, then I'd suggest that's the sticking point.

Take off the dash end panel. Think there's 1screw behind it.

the dash end panel? is that the part thats covered when the door is closed - the bit that covers the damper? if thats the dash end cover then i have removed that but couldnt see a nut there,

it does seem that its sticking around the cd changer area...

has anyone every removed the oem cd changer in glovebox?

There is one screw under the dash end panel, i removed mine a while back, still havnt refitted it due to looking tacky after painting, i can get you a pic if you want?

yes, please put a pic up of the screw in the dash end panel...

when i removed the 5 screws it was loose but for some reason its not giving way... definatly seems stuck around the cd changer area...

also, you know the silver insert that runs along the top of the glovebox / dash - does that have any screws? or is the glovebox connected to the dash by any chance?

Only 5 screws

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346353237068374

ok il just have to pull a bit harder..!

does anyone think the cd changer could be the culprit?

Take out the cd changer, there is an 8mm bolt just above the cd changer, remove that and the glovebox slides out, slide the glovebox out slowly and disconnect the harness to the glovebox light.

right guys, managed to remove the cd player, fixed the hinge but when putting lid back on i noticed the handle has stopped working, i assume when removing something has got knocked off and now the handle wont operate...

any tips guys?

If you were just removing the lid itself you wouldnt need to remove the cd changer.
If youre handle isn't working and it's something internal in the lid, you'll have to prize it apart. It's bonded together very tightly. I opened mine up as one of the catches didn't return properly as the spring had come away from the catch. I araldited it to bond it back together and clamped it for 24 hours to make sure it would be solid.

Yeah managed to dismantle the handle and I have broken a clip! I have now superglued it and left to dry but I reckon it won't hold, any idea how much a new handle costs from the stealers??

They must do cos a mate of mine bought a glovebox but no handle were included he had to use his own,

Il give em a call tomorrow

Hi! Seems you have the answer on the extra screws used if you had a cd changer fitted, confirmed my suspicions, I am trying to do the same but doing it in order to get to the AC recirc duct servo that seems to be sticking in behind!! I even managed to get a tech from the stealers and he seemed baffled as he didn't think there was a screw behind the glovebox!! My problem is that the changer locating/locking feature is knackered on one side and not releasing with the removal keys!! Mentioning this in the vain hope that someone here has overcome the same issue! Will continue trawling!!

To be honest the changer should just pull out
If it does just pull oput then it hasn't been fitted properly, there are two latches on the CD changer (one each side) that should be released with the usual VAG audio keys.