how do you removel head unit without the removal keys

vr6gordy

Reaction score
i have a double din head unit and the right keys to release it ..thing is some past owner has messed with the stereo to fit a phone kit i think and in the process they have some how bent the clips that hole the cd player in ... ive tryied for a hour this morning with the right keys to reomove it and got one out of 3 to work .. how can i get in to remove the head unit ??????? any help on this one ...

without breaking ****.... no, not really....

Aren't the keys around £3.00 off eBay?

Yup but he has some.

I don't you can really, if you do you will possible end up breaking stuff.
Does the B6 surround come away exposing the cage?
Could you then use a bet coat hanger or screw driver round the back the poke the tab in on the one you can't do?

mine was the same even with genuine keys i struggled. you either get a bit manly with it and risk breaking something or you spend hours doing it another way perhaps you can feed something in from behind to release the tab thats jammed, they are a proper pain in the a***!

Reactions: AllyMc
thought i might try take the ash tray out then pull out the heater controls so then i can get my hand in from then back and give it a push ???????????

think i took glove box out and was able to get access to the rear of it like that

i only wanna pull it out cos my radio has stoped working and before i start mesing with wires to fix it i just wanna make sure the areial hasnt fallen out the head unit .so if i took glove box out will i see ??????????

i think i could get my hand round the back of it but cant really remember and dont have my car here to jog my memory at the mo

Cheap keys can be a definite disadvantage for this.

For info:

Symphony.jpg

sorry james but i dont think you read what i wrote right ... i did say ive got the right keys to do this and they dont work

I posted the diagram as I thought it might help you.

The cheap keys reference was so that if this post is read by someone else in the future it might benefit them.

very hard work if keys wont work

Got mine out with 2 cable ties, pull the heating control out(takes 5 seconds) put a cable tie into each slot and push stereo from back.