Wheel and tyre advise

V8Guzzler

Reaction score
One of my tyres keeps going flattish, ideal running psi is 39 and it slowly goes down to about 21 psi and stays there. This is wearing the inner and outer tread! Kwik fit say its a leak around the rim and there is nothing they can do?! Can anybody let me know how to solve this please, as I am spending alot of time at the air pump (and they are not free anymore) thanks :)

kwik fit are full of crap go somewhere else

my brother is a tyre fitter and there is always something that can be done

ask someone to whip the tyre off and clean the rim and refit with a new valve too you could also mention some rim sealant too which will help or even stop it :)

Typical of them to say that.. Take your wheel somewhere else.. The coating on the inside of the wheel is probably flaking and this is where the air is escaping.. A reputable garage will usually clean this up with a wire brush and they then use a black bead glue to solve the problem..
Hth m

take the rim for a quick refurb and get the rim cleaned up were the tyre sits

kwik fit !!! they are obviously the boys you cant trust lol

One of my tyres keeps going flattish, ideal running psi is 39 and it slowly goes down to about 21 psi and stays there. This is wearing the inner and outer tread! Kwik fit say its a leak around the rim and there is nothing they can do?! Can anybody let me know how to solve this please, as I am spending alot of time at the air pump (and they are not free anymore) thanks :)

39PSI, isnt that a tad high?

39 is as stated by handbook for 235/40/18 i believe, as said remove tyre clean a bit and reseal on the rim.

39 would be about right for the V8 I expect, I run mine at 36.

Hi there,

The best thing to do would be to check where the leak is coming from. It would be a shame to get anything replaced if you don't need to, this kind of problem could come from the valve or the rim. A good thing to do may be to plunge the whole wheel and tyre into water and see where the bubbles are coming from. Failing that, try soapy water around the rim to see where bubbles form! The you'll know exactly where the problem is coming from!

I hope this helps you out!

I put some tyre weld in and it has sealed the leak.. Good times.. 👌👀